TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

stuck on 1080p??? 720p pioneer 5080hd??

by jay412 / February 10, 2008 8:16 AM PST

Anyone have an opinion on the pioneer pdp-5080hd 720p plasma vs. the panny 50pz700u 1080p? i went to bestbuy yesterday pretty much set on the 1080p and the sales guy pointed me in the direction of the pioneer to consider, which is actually even cheaper. He told me even with a blu-ray player the pioneer will outperform and look better than the 1080p? is this true? unfortunately, they didn't have the pioneer hooked up to any kind of blu ray or hd dvd player, just the hd programming....i've been hung up on the 1080p....i won't be viewing the tv from closer than 5 ft. i would say but usually from 8-12 ft. if not farther away than that.
one other side note: the panny 50pz700u has a 5000:1 contrast ratio, but i can't seem to find pioneer's contrast ratio. what is the best contrast ratio available, as i have heard this is important in picture detail??
thanks
jay

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: stuck on 1080p??? 720p pioneer 5080hd??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: stuck on 1080p??? 720p pioneer 5080hd??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I
by dinox64 / February 10, 2008 10:36 AM PST

Would make that guy hook one up and satisfy me,the customer.

Collapse -
stuck on 1080p
by winelvr / February 10, 2008 10:47 AM PST

Jay... I pretty much had the same experience in Best Buys... was set to buy a 1080P Panasonic rated #1 by Consumer Reports... UNTIL I saw the Pioneer 5080HD's picture side by side with the Panasonic's. Both were displaying feed from a Blu-Ray HD-DVD player. NO comparison far as I was concerned....Pioneer had the better picture by far... Had my wife along who knows zero about HD TV etc... she picked the Pioneer as well. My understanding of 1080P is that to fully appreciate the finer detail it provides you need to be sitting relatively close to the set... 5-6' is the distance I've heard/read. In my living room the Pioneer is 11-12' away from the couches... and looks amazing... everyone of my neighbors who have seen it agree. Long story short... look at them together, viewing the same feed... I'll bet you make the same choice I did. Good luck

Collapse -
Resolution vs contrast
by gabereyes / February 10, 2008 12:34 PM PST

Contrast and color is more important then resolution, this is why the pioneer is looks and is better then the panny.

basiclly it doesnt matter if you have a V8 if the V6 next to you has more horse power.

people always look at the numbers on products, like resolution on TVs, number of springs in a bed, watts of power on a reciever, but yet none of these numbers tell you if it is a quality product.

without looking at any numbers, the pioneer always look better, do to its great black level, color saturation, and color accuracy.
Plus you get more HDMI inputs, cable card slot, and more picture settings in the menu.
So if it was me I would buy the pioneer, but I do still like the panny as a second choice if it was cheaper.

good luck
gabe

Collapse -
Don't be overly concerned with contrast ratio numbers. They
by NM_Bill / February 11, 2008 8:02 AM PST

are not standard government numbers, but generated by each maker & subject to being abused or misrepresented. When the Pioneer just looks more impressive, that is what counts.

720 done extremely well can be nicer than average, so-so 1080. Pioneer developed commercial plasma TV with Indiana University. They have hung their hat on only plasma, for good or bad in the longer run.
Most of us who see their fine image in person are drawn in emotionally that is is that good.

I won't attempt to find reference to formulas about how big the image has to be at how close so that difference of the extra resolution of 1080 is very apparent. But the gist of it is not much practical difference as judged by most folks. Really huge screens is where it matters.

To each their own, but for me, I'll take a really nice 720 over 1080 at extra money even though the makers jump on "progress" & push the dickens out of it. Save a little money.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?