Question

stuck in safe mode

Hi,

I believe ive got an infested laptop with a lot of viruses as avg constantly tells me that there are threats in almost every file. somehow ive even deleted some programs or files that i needed for certain programs i had, internet explorer does not even start either....

someone said go to msconfig and check safemode, allow the pc to restart in safe mode scan and delete viruses and take it from there BUT i keep getting a blue error message which doesnt allow me to access safe mode and now it does not even let get into windows normally or even last known setting. Im completely lost and cant even access my laptop....

Please please help

many many thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: stuck in safe mode
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: stuck in safe mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
If the damage is that deep

You get the XP CD out and try the old XP REPAIR INSTALL (see GOOGLE) and if that fails you start over.

Bob

- Collapse -
....fails you start over

Will the xp repair install wipe all my information of the machine?? (hope not)

and by starting over ..... will that mean ill loose all my information on there?

And is there an alternative without the windows cd?

Thanks

- Collapse -
We only lose what we don't backup.

We have many ways to backup even when Windows does not boot. Which method is up the to owner, skills and dollars. Some have no money so we can't backup. Others will install a new HDD, install to that then add the old drive and get their files out.

Didn't someone tell you about this issue?
Bob

- Collapse -
back up

if i get a xp cd and opt for a windows repair will that over write the old windows version whilst still keeping all my files and documents.... Once im able to access windows ill back up my files and then overwrite windows.... Will that fix the virus issue and any other infections on the system?

Thanks for your help

- Collapse -
No.

For example if we perform a repair install and the user picks the same user name or had files in the default Administrator account those files are lost.

This is why we backup before the repair.

As to the fix the virus issue, the answer is MAYBE. Some pests infect apps or other files so we're never sure unless we start over. This is why there are bootable antivirus CDs that we can get rid of the known pests before we repair the OS.

It seems to me that you are trying to avoid backup of your stuff. I could be wrong.
Bob

CNET Forums