Mac OS forum

General discussion

Stuck/Failing Time Machine Backups

by sunier2 / October 14, 2009 4:02 AM PDT

White MacBook (about 4 months old) OSX 10.5.8, Using 115GB Iomega HDD (3x size of MacBookHD I'm backing up), tried diff. FireWire cables.
Shortly after purchase T.M. began giving a warning after 12-18 days that it hadn't backup up for that time. I ran Disk Warrior on both the internal and external drives. Run Permissions regularly. The Iomega works perfectly with T.M. on my old iMac and vice versa.

In T.M. Prefs it always says "Last Backup: Failed" and "Backing Up: 30.3MB of 30.6GB." It's been stuck at that for a week now! Yet the T.M.arrow-circle in the menu continues to revolve. Lately I get a mysterious warning: "The application PubSubAgent quite unexpectedly." Don't know if that's related. Otherwise no problems at all with MacBook, so I can't image doing an archive & re-install as AppleCare has advised! Also getting no help from other forums or Just Answers. Any ideas out there?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stuck/Failing Time Machine Backups
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stuck/Failing Time Machine Backups
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Never had much success with Iomega drives, but
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 14, 2009 9:20 AM PDT

I would try this first:

Format that external again as Mac OS Extended(journaled) and try again with the backup.

Alternatively, the purchase of another external drive, USB 2.0 is cheaper than Firewire, might be an option if you don't like the idea of an Archive and install

P

Collapse -
Stuck/Failing Time Machine Backups
by sunier2 / October 15, 2009 2:56 AM PDT

Thanks. I did reformat with Mac journaled etc. a bit ago. I think you're right; I've begun looking at getting a 3rd external drive. The fact the the MacBook never stops saying "Indexing Iomega external drive" has probably convinced me. But it still bothers me that the Iomega worked perfectly with my old iMac on T.M.!
Surprised to read that USB2 connections are a bit faster than FireWire. I thought I should only get a Firewire 400 drive. Am I wrong?

Collapse -
USB v Firewire
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 15, 2009 7:45 AM PDT

Theoretically, USB has the faster speed, 480 v 400, but it consistently fails to reach anywhere near that speed in real life.
There are too many overhead issues and processor hits.

Firewire, on the other hand, can sustain a high transfer rate without processor hits.

I only mentioned USB because most of the major manufactures have moved away from Firewire, which tends to make them expensive.

I have a Seagate 1TB USB drive and have had no problems with it.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?