Auto Repair - Roadshow forum

General discussion

Stuck between 2 options......HELP......Buying my first GPS

by cnetrev / June 4, 2008 11:28 AM PDT

Hi,
I'm buying my first GPS. Don't even know about its features. I did some research. But since my budget was around $175, I was able to narrow down between 2 options based on COST and most positive REVIEWS on all websites.

1. Garmin Nuvi 200
2. Garmin StreetPilot c340

NOW, I DON'T KNOW what to choose. For what reason I should pick up either of those ?? HELP me with this PLEASE...... Sad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stuck between 2 options......HELP......Buying my first GPS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stuck between 2 options......HELP......Buying my first GPS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Buy The Nuvi

I think you should buy the Nuvi 200, as its more portable and stylish than the bulkier c340. If you can stretch your budget a little there is now a Nuvi 200W and there are some good prices on Ebay. Garmin are excellent GPS units; so at the end of the day you'll be fine with either one.
Happy Motoring!!

Collapse -
Thanks......one more Q
by cnetrev / June 5, 2008 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Buy The Nuvi

But the Garmin Nuvi 200 doesn't have text-to-speech feature. Actually, how IMPORTANT is this feature?

Also, I saw reviews on TOM-TOM One Third Edition.....they are comparable to these Garmin versions. So, I'm now triple-struck !! Sad

Collapse -
After looking into some of the deeply discounted Tom-Toms...
by thornsbj / June 9, 2008 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks......one more Q

... available recently, it would appear that no one that owns a Tom-Tom is happy with their Tom-Tom. I'd definitely recommend any of the Garmin units. I have a GSPMap 2620, a Nuvi 5000, a ColorMap C176 and bought an x5 for my folks. Interface-wise, you won't regret it.

Collapse -
Actually, I love both my TomToms
by run_va / July 21, 2008 6:27 AM PDT

Unfortunately, TomTom gets a bad wrap sometimes, but I can say that I own two, and love using them. I have the ONE 3rd edition and the GO 930. The 930 has all the bells and whistles you'd expect out of a top of the line GPS including text to speech, Bluetooth, and the new IQ routes and advanced lane guidance. If you're looking to save a bit, try the GO 730, it's every bit as good as the 930. A nice entry level would be the 130S (I've seen deals with the widescreen 330s version priced the same as the 130S for $200).

Collapse -
TT 130s , map correction missed "school" category
by yucnet / July 24, 2008 3:02 PM PDT

I found 130s is easy to carry than the 330s. I bought mine for a week. I can't add school as category to POI. Is there a quick fix to this problem.
TY

Collapse -
Try connecting to TomTom Home
by run_va / July 28, 2008 1:27 AM PDT

You should be able to get the school category by updating on TomTom Home. If that doesn't work you can manually search by keyword. Let me know if you have any more trouble I can help out with

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?