Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Stuck at "Could not update computers Boot Configuration"

I have bought the Upgrade version of Vista Home Premium. After several attempts and 300.00 dollars of hardware upgrades I keep getting the error message of cannot update computers boot configuration. process cancelled
I have also done the work around that is stated on the microsoft web site yet at the 21% of Expandind files the process stops. Compatibility advisor states that no issues and that Vista home premium should work. any help is deeply appreciated. Dell Dimension 4600- 1gig memory- Windows XP SP2

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stuck at "Could not update computers Boot Configuration"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stuck at "Could not update computers Boot Configuration"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some Microsoft Techs know about it. I had same problem

In reply to: Stuck at "Could not update computers Boot Configuration"

I had the exact same problem installing Windows Vista Home Premium upgrade on Windows XP. The precheck showed no problems with my system. I called Microsoft 3 times. I tried what the first and the second technician suggested with no difference.
Then, on the 3rd call, I got the most friendly, helpful, and professional who knew what she was talking about. She told me what to do to correct it and then stayed on the phone for the complete installation to be sure it worked. I would not suggest trying to correct it yourself but this is where the problem lies:
******Missing Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, UpperFilters Data Value= PartMgr
Resolution:
***********Changed Registry Key and is now able to do an upgrade install

Collapse -
There is ONE Microsoft Techician that knows how to fix this

Katherine Dewalt, Microsoft Vista Technician, guided me throughout the complete install. Previously 2 other Microsoft people had made suggestions which did nothing. I tried upgrade and clean install, but both stalled at the same point and would not continue because it could not boot.
I don't recommend doing this, but basically, if my memory is correct these are the steps she had me take:
start, run, enter "regedit"
then open "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
then open "SYSTEM"
then open "CurrentControlSet"
then open "Control"
then open "Class"
find the line number "{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"
then open "Upper Filters" (located on right hand side)
then add the words "PartMgr"
I am not suggesting that anyone try this. Kate warned me before we tried this that something could go wrong if I made any mistakes or typos. This is the best I can remember the steps. Maybe you guys could call Microsoft and ask for Kate Dewalt. She is super helpful.

Collapse -
Windows cannot update the computers boot configuration

In reply to: There is ONE Microsoft Techician that knows how to fix this

AAaarrggghhhh, can anybody please help with this problem have tried all the suggestions above and still no joy - 21% and then stop - i have navigated to the registry key to find that the upperfilter is present and that it contains the text 'PartMgr' already. does any one know of another solution to this problem, if so your help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

shakydave

Collapse -
Thank you all!!!!

In reply to: Windows cannot update the computers boot configuration

I have successfully installed Vista.
I did the clean install and didn't enter the product key until the second time around.

thanks to all for your help.

Collapse -
For me, it worked

In reply to: Windows cannot update the computers boot configuration

I had the same error, stops at 21% Expanding files. Today I contacted MicroSoft and at their request, I E-mailed this link. I went through your frustrations yesterday, spending 4 hrs on the phone with Dell. Hopefully, some good will come out of this.

Thanks for the great info.

Collapse -
I forgot about that....

Oh, yeah, Kate told me not to put in the product code when asked. We did that on validation after the update install was completed.

Collapse -
Dimension 4600 not compatible with vista

In reply to: I forgot about that....

Dimension 4600 not compatible with vista need more guts to run vista on a 4600.

Collapse -
No fixes work for me

I did this "PartMgr" registry fix, and tried many other suggestions, including
"1. Run: gpupdate /force /boot
2. Reboot
3. Have fun installing Vista"

I postponed entering registration key, turned off all AV and other monitors, rebooted, and EVERY time (12 tries) the upgrade aborts in the "Expanding files" process. I installed Service Pack 3 and ALL updates. Same experience. First time I have ever given up on a computer problem like this, but Vista Business will just not install as upgrade on my XP Pro machine. (Yes, I checked for BIOS anti-virus, and tried every suggestion I have found on the web.) Why can't someone at Microsoft solve this?

Collapse -
Windows Error Upgrading to Vista

I had the same problem upgrading from XP to Vista... Windows encountered an error and could not continue. It would hang at Gathering Files.
Do these 5 things, all 5.
1. Update your computer's BIOS. Go to the manufacturer's website and download and install the latest BIOS. Follow the computer manufacturer's instructions on how to do it.
2. Make sure the computer is NOT part of a domain. If it is, you must remove it from the domain first. Create a local user account with administrator control on the PC before removing it from the domain, and do the upgrade as the local user.
3. Make sure you have 50% to 60% free space on the hard drive. Back up files and delete them from the hard drive if necessary in order to create free space. Running a disk clean-up and disk defragmentor process won't hurt either.
4. Large encrypted files can cause an error. Un-encrypt any large files. You can password protect them again later after the upgrade.
5. Uninstall any antivirus or antispyware software.
After doing all these you should have a smooth upgrade.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.