TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Structured Wiring - Wiring a Home

by hockeyfan4 / August 1, 2005 9:56 AM PDT

I am moving to a new home and was wondering what I should use as far as structured wiring? I am not very tech savy and many things that have been explained to me like RG 6 make no sense! It may be the people trying to tell me know little about the subject as well. I will be getting HD Satellite, an HDTV, I also have a 5.1 surround sound system, and high speed internet. The satellite receiver, the TV, and the speaker system will all be in one room (most likely unless I get another receiver) and I would like the availbiliy of high speed access in a few rooms. I do not know what wiring I should use? I don't need my whole house wired in every room for everything. But I wasn't sure what would be the best way to go for my application. There are alot of questons in here but I am hoping that someone will be able to answer them.

Thanks,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Structured Wiring - Wiring a Home
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Structured Wiring - Wiring a Home
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Plan it out...
by sirroundsound / August 1, 2005 1:39 PM PDT

RG-6 coax cable, is what you will need to have run to accept the HD satellite signal. It would be wise to have 4 runs fed from where the dish will go to an electrical room where they can be attached to a switch for distribution to 1 or more satellite receivers. You should check first with the satellite provider (dish or directv?) and confirm what they suggest for your use. All the rooms in the house where possible TV's will go, will have 1 run at least of this RG-6 cable from the same room that the satellite cable goes to. (the distribution room) Keep in mind there are HD satellite receivers with Tivo (digital recorders) that can accept 2 coax inputs, which will allow you to record and watch something else at the same time, SO to a couple of MAIN TV's in the house it might be wise to run 2 coax lines from the distribution room. Running a phone and data line (Cat3 and Cat5 cables)to these locations is a good idea too, you will want a phone connection for the satellite to download any pay per view purchases, and the Data could be used should you eventually add some sort of digital media, such as a DVD server or Media centre. Other areas of the house will want Phone or phone and data locations, think ahead about furniture layouts, where might a phone go, where are computers going. Once all this is run,(back to that basement distribution room)you now have the ability to add a phone system, or centralized network hub, or at least just keep everything easy to service. Ideally you should be contacting some local custom install firm, there are many other options available to you that could be built into your mortgage, and should be properly planned out based on your family's needs (or wants). Keep in mind, wire up bedrooms. Just because you may not want TV's or other in your kids rooms, doesn't mean that someday when you sell this home, the potential buyer won't get put off because they are not there. Once again, contact someone that knows what they are doing, far too many people build nice homes and find out after the fact about things they wish they now had.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Make sure to throw in some CAT-5 wiring in all your rooms
by jonline / August 2, 2005 2:56 PM PDT
Collapse -
Hire a pro
by terrmul / August 3, 2005 4:27 AM PDT

As mentioned in the other post you should really consider hiring a pro if, by your own admission, your not that tech savvy. It won't cost a fortune and could indeed save you some money, these guys have all the tools to fish cables through walls and ceilings that would otherwise require some big holes.

If you go it alone, get a black and decker Guide to Home Wiring from Home Depot or similar. And remember that there are live electrical cables in the strangest places, safety first!!

Terry
CEO/Owner
Beyond Home Theater
www.beyondhometheater.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.