Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

struct by a virus (ouch!)

Hello,

My computer was recently hit by a bad virus. I have to reformat my drive. Before I take out my hard drive to take it to a service to extract my files, I wanted to save all my bookmarks.
Is there a file in the system that holds all the bookmarks. In 'safe mode' all my bookmarks are gone, so I can't write them down. Is there a way to save it to my desktop so it can be backed up with the other data?
Is it possible to find it?

thanks.
chrisusvi

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: struct by a virus (ouch!)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: struct by a virus (ouch!)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you mean

In reply to: struct by a virus (ouch!)

IE Favorites...

Favorites are located in:

C:\Windows\Favorites

You can try copying them from a DOS prompt:

Boot from a startup floppy (if you don't have any, you may download one from www.bootdisk.com), and from the A:\ prompt type:

?C:? (no quotes and press enter)

Take out the startup floppy and place a newly formatted floppy in the drive.

Now type:

COPY WINDOWS\FAVORITES\*.* A: (press enter)

- This will copy the favorites to the floppy.

The above procedure should work IF the HDD is still accessible.

Good luck.

Zee

Collapse -
Re: favorites.

I'm afraid Blue Zee's answer is incomplete, in sofar that the copy command doesn't copy the favorites in the subfolders. I'd use a xcopy-command with /s switch.

And there's no real need to copy to a diskette. Any other folder that happens to be included in your backup serves just as well.

And there's no real need to use DOS-commands. In Safe Mode Explorer will work, and you can use that to do with the c:\windows\favorites folder whatever you like. You might prefer the graphical user interface offered by Explorer above the command prompt.

And: if you use profiles, your favorites will be in folder somewhere in your profile, not in c:\windows (each user has his own favorites).

For the future: when you're up and running again, in IE simply do File>Import and Export>Export favorites to get them all in one html-file that you can easily include in your regular backup and import again.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Kees, I can't tell if chrisusvi

In reply to: Re: favorites.

has IE or Firefox. The lack of info leaves me guessing. So if it is Firefox is the processes and location the same for coping bookmarks? I not sure if my suggestion to use Ad-Aware will even do anything for a computer that uses Firefox?

Collapse -
Re: Firefox favorites

In reply to: Kees, I can't tell if chrisusvi

The best way to backup (or copy or move) Firefox 'bookmarks' (as they are called indeed) is using File>Export (and File>Import when necessary) from the Bookmark Manager menu.
No need at all to find out where Firefox stores them internally if such a mechanism exists.

Kees

Collapse -
try cleaning it?

Because you said you were working in safe mode, I get the idea that the attack has taken over your computer to the point that normal anti-virus tools are not working. The attack may have damaged the anti-virus program. Before you take out your hard drive to take it to a service to extract your files, you may as well try to fix it with your anti-virus program. You will likely need to reinstall your anti-virus program to get it working again.

I feel that the attack is more likely to be a Spyware/Adware problem. I would download the free version of Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.com and run it in safe mode. Spyware and Adware removal programs often work in the safe mode.

I want to let you know that making copies of files or of favorites at this point may just let you infect the computer once you have it back. Some viruses can reload themselves from your computer?s memory/RAM so reformatting the HDD does not always remove all viruses. Often, an anti-virus program starts the scan by checking the ram first.

If you must pull your files and favorites scan the medium you stored the files on with an up-to-date anti-virus program and also with an anti-spyware program before installing the files on any computer.

I would suggest that you take CNET?s class ?Combating Spyware and Adware?. The class is free except for your time. When you sinup,you will need to setup a login name and provide an email address, the class lessons and assignments are handled that way.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Collapse -
struct by a virus (ouch!) REVISED

In reply to: try cleaning it?

I apologize for not stating the browser I used.
I am am using Firefox.

Sorry.

chrisusvi

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.