Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

strong signal=but no internet connect

by frankintheboot / August 7, 2010 4:45 PM PDT

I am in Italy and have the password to my neighbors Alice DSL. I can connect to the Internet if I am close enough to use the built in wireless adapter. However If I try to use one of my USB antennae adapters, I get 5 bar signals , but cannot connect to the Internet. Running Win xp. Realtek and Zydes USB adapters. If I check the ipconfig/all I get the same results with the USB adapters as I do with the built in (expept for assigned IP's)adapter.
Strange thing is that last year I used the USB adapter with no problem all summer. Cutting off or on the firewall makes no difference.
Must be something sinple. Sure could use some advise as for now, the only way I can get on the Internet is to put the laptop in the bathroom window.
Ciao, and thanks in advance for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: strong signal=but no internet connect
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: strong signal=but no internet connect
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That happens a lot with WEP passwords.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2010 1:15 AM PDT

It's a shame that this happens when the password is wrong. It would have been nice if it would have outright failed but that's not what WEP does. It makes folk think the password was right.
Bob

Collapse -
Not a password issue
by frankintheboot / August 8, 2010 1:50 AM PDT

would not be a password issue as I am connecting fine with same password copy/pasted when I am close enought to use the built in adapter. If the pass word is wrong, i don't get a "connected" signal.
Problem is connection is 54MB, excelant, just no Internet.

Collapse -
"I am connecting fine with same password copy/pasted when I
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2010 2:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Not a password issue

"I am connecting fine with same password copy/pasted when I am close enought to use the built in adapter."

That clears that up. You'll have to be in range of the wifi hot spot.
Bob

Collapse -
Try this,,,,
by Papa Echo / August 8, 2010 11:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Not a password issue

At the USB antennae adapters enter the same IPs and DNSs numbers you find at the built-in wireless adpter.

Collapse -
ip in tcip
by frankintheboot / August 9, 2010 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this,,,,

tried that but makes no difference. since my last post, i put a netgear range max USB adapter on the end of a 15 foot USB cable and hung out the window. Low signal, but hook to internet right away.
must be something in the other two usb antennae adapters that just is not matching up. Everything in ispconfig/all is the same... ip changes depending how many others are hooking up. (I set up three laptops to work for the Alice DSL owner to use)
Really has me stumped, but at least for now with range max, i don't have to set on the toilet to go online.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!