Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Strokes against Spokes

by Bill Osler / October 16, 2004 9:55 AM PDT

My wife thinks I'm crazy. I signed up to do a 40 mile ride today at the "Strokes Against Spokes" fundraiser for the NC Stroke Association.

It was cold (about 40 F when we got there this morning, but it warmed up some later) and windy (up to 20+ mph) but at least we had sunshine. The entire 40 mile loop was uphill into a head wind. "That's my story and I'm sticking to it." Wink

My old bike was not really ridable, but one of the sponsoring bike shops "loaned" me a bicycle "just to see if I like it". I fully intended to return the bike at the end of the ride and continue my shopping at a leisurely pace. The plan went badly for me. I LOVE the bike but it's a bit more than I wanted to pay. It's the first new bike I've ridden that feels anything like the old one. They say it's because of the steel & graphite frame. Anyway, if I buy the bike then my wife will be after me for something comparably extravagant and ... Decisions, decisions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strokes against Spokes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strokes against Spokes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Oops ... That was 'Spokes Against Strokes'
by Bill Osler / October 16, 2004 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Strokes against Spokes
Collapse -
Re: (NT) Oops ... That was 'Spokes Against Strokes'
by Steven Haninger / October 16, 2004 12:25 PM PDT

Sometimes the only reason one can find to squander a few shillings on themself is just a feeling that they deserve to do so. I've no problem with that notion and have used it successfully in the presense of my own wife. Don't let this whimsical moment slip away.

Collapse -
Oddly enough...
by James Denison / October 16, 2004 4:40 PM PDT

...I usually spend more on my wife than on myself. My needs are few, or so I'm told. Wink

Collapse -
I do the same. It's called "paying forward".
by Steven Haninger / October 16, 2004 9:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Oddly enough...

Always be ahead of the game and few will challenge your generosity.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: Oops ... 'Spokes Against Strokes' -- was wondering!
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 18, 2004 3:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
I actually proof read that post and missed the slip anyway .
by Bill Osler / October 18, 2004 9:37 AM PDT

After I noticed the error, I had to resist the urge to call it a Bushism. Happy

IIRC, my English teacher would have called it a Spoonerism.

Collapse -
and your problem is...
by Kiddpeat / October 16, 2004 5:29 PM PDT

splurge on her after you get the bike. Wink

Collapse -
I would suggest "before". Works for me.
by James Denison / October 17, 2004 3:25 AM PDT
In reply to: and your problem is...
Wink
Collapse -
Re: I would suggest "before". Works for me.
by Rolway / October 17, 2004 3:31 AM PDT

I do both. Before and After, except there seems to be more Afters than Befores.

George

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Amen!
by Bill Osler / October 17, 2004 11:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: it's not a problem Dr Bill ;-)
by jonah jones / October 17, 2004 12:55 AM PDT

you buy the bike, tell your wife how happy you are, *hint* that your gratitude knows no bounds...

the occasional "honey, that bike is 'exactly' what i wanted"

and then, one evening over a glass of wine and some soft music..... just imagine the look of joy on her face when you give a set of matching crescent wrenches and whisper "sweetheart, we can work on the bike together...."

Wink

Collapse -
Re: it's not a problem Dr Bill ;-)
by Roger NC / October 17, 2004 10:14 AM PDT

Why are you trying to get Bill hurt?

Devil

My wife says if you give cresent wrenches to wife, what happens is you get "clunked on head" with largest one.

RogerNC

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Our wives must think alike.
by Bill Osler / October 17, 2004 11:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
You're winding us up aren't you? ...
by Mosonnow / October 18, 2004 12:29 AM PDT

LOL Noticeable lack of female response - so here's one:

You need a new bike Bill - full stop. If anyone, anyone(!), on the Forum doesn't think so, then they ain't been reading your posts.

I don't know about your Mrs, but I guess it will be a "happier Bill" who arrives home after these bone-shaker 40+ mile rides. After all, it's not Halloween yet, but it might as well be if you keep riding the old one!

Besides, what can the Mrs possibly need as much as you need a new bike? Of course, if it's a new washing machine, you might have to do a re-think about clean shirts for work each day Wink Still, doing the washing with a stone in the stream each day ain't so bad. (I can't believe I said that.)

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
ya know, I have heard of a few women...
by James Denison / October 18, 2004 2:44 AM PDT

...that urged their man to buy a fishing boat. Usually those men had retired recently. I wonder why? Wink

Collapse -
Re: ya know, I have heard of a few women...
by Mosonnow / October 18, 2004 3:12 AM PDT

ROFL - I can't get anything past you, can I? OTOH, James, best be on your guard, as forewarned is forearmed. Of course there will be a run on fishing boats if SE ever breaks down - but at least you'll know what you're having for dinner. Might have a long bike ride to get the chips (fries?) though. Maybe Bill will lend you his bike...

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Thanks for the endorsement ...
by Bill Osler / October 18, 2004 9:32 AM PDT

Even my wife agrees I need a new bike. The real question is whether I need one with a steel & graphite frame. I could get a lighter, cheaper bike with an aluminum frame but it wouldn't ride anywhere near as comfortably.

I'll have to pass on your suggestion about washing in the stream with a stone. On second thought, if I value my life, maybe I'll bite my tongue. Happy

I went for another ride this evening. The more I ride that bike, the more I like it. I guess that's why the salesmen let folks borrow them! It turns out that the ride this evening was a bit more of a risk than I expected. It's starting to get dark a lot earlier. I thought there would be light enough to ride until about 7:15 or later, so I planned to be back by a little after 7:00. Boy was I wrong! I pulled into the driveway at 7:05 with just barely enough light to navigate. The riding had been pretty iffy for 15 minutes by then. I almost stopped and called my wife about 1/2 mile from home because I had a short run on a highway and I wasn't sure of the visibility, but as it happens there wasn't any traffic so I didn't have to get off the road to let cars by. Once it starts to get dark, it gets dark in a hurry.

Collapse -
There is a new forum ...
by Mosonnow / October 18, 2004 7:57 PM PDT

... Holiday Shopping Q&A where you can post your Christmas present wish. If you haven't got your new bike by now, get your request in there quickly, cos Santa usually starts getting pretty busy around now (a spokesman said). Although once you've got your heart set on the one you want, you just need to annualise the cost (i.e. years of usage of a Happier Bill) and there yer go.

Incidentally, as a car driver, I narrowly avoided hitting a cyclist who was, in the dark, dressed in black clothes with no lights. I missed a heart beat and thought "there but for the grace of God". Unfortunately the car behind me knocked him over. I know that car drivers never allow enough overtaking space for cyclists (not easy on our narrow roads) but our authorities do turn a blind eye to cyclists riding on the pavements (within reason). If you drive, you will know how difficult it is to see cyclists far enough in advance.

I guess my suggestion would be that you blow your savings on the new bike. Oh yes, and some new shirts cos they're already clean Happy Glad the Mrs is on your side - does this mean you'll be re-considering? A tandem (2-person) bike?

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
I bought it today ...
by Bill Osler / October 19, 2004 10:58 AM PDT

It didn't exactly take all of our savings, but it did set me back a chunk even after they discounted it a few hundred dollars.

I did also buy a shirt. Sortof. It's getting cold enough that I bought some clothes for cold weather cycling. I think, though, that I'll let my wife continue to use the washer rather than suggesting she go back to a stone in the stream.

I'm excited about the bike, but unfortunately I did not get home early enough to ride it today. TaeKwonDo class is late enough that it is quite dark when I get home after class.

Collapse -
Re: I bought it today ...
by Roger NC / October 19, 2004 11:06 AM PDT
In reply to: I bought it today ...

I'm sure you've thought about it, and probably already have taken steps, but as noted, it's hard on drivers to see cyclists in times sometimes.

Something with safety reflective strips, even just one of those little mesh vest sometimes thrown on by workers, will make a world of difference in low light conditions.

I wish pedistrians would take it to heart too. I've been guilty of it myself, but as I age (and can't jump as fast maybe?) I find I see the dangers in things I never paid attention to before. Or maybe all those manditory safety films at work do sink in, even though half dozing attention.

RogerNC

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
I'm still puzzling about that ...
by Bill Osler / October 19, 2004 11:59 AM PDT

Obviously one big thing is to avoid riding after dark.

I was surprised, though, to discover that the new bike does not include reflectors like my old one did. The old bike had one reflector on the front, another on the back, and one connected to the spokes on each wheel. The new one has no reflectors at all.

I've added a small brightly colored 'saddle bag', and the clothing I wear is reflective. I'll have to see if the new cycling shoes have reflector strips but I think they do. Maybe I can steal the reflectors from the old bike and put them on the new one, at least in the front and back.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Why not reflector tape instead?
by James Denison / October 19, 2004 1:57 PM PDT
Collapse -
You can get little pots of fluorscent paint ...
by Mosonnow / October 19, 2004 8:18 PM PDT

... perhaps to use on the bike or on helmet. Better still, if you're anywhere near Springfield, you could park it in Homer's factory to get that cool glow-in-the-dark look.

I'm delighted you were able to get the lightweight one, as they are much heavier once the snow-chains are fitted Sad

Here's hoping you get millions of happy miles from it Happy

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Congrats on your new "toy" ! :-)
by Cindi Haynes / October 19, 2004 12:26 PM PDT
In reply to: I bought it today ...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?