HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Stripped down rental movies

by DSmith1178 / February 22, 2014 9:40 PM PST

I normally only rent blu ray discs to use with my high end audio/video system. Often, I rent movies that online are listed by the movie production companies as having advanced surround sound formats because again, I enjoy listening to them with my audio system. Several times, I've rented these movies from Redbox that are supposed to have advanced audio formats and when I get home, the disc doesn't even have an option to play in the advanced audio format. Some movie titles do, some don't. For example, I rented two movies this weekend "All is Lost" and "Escape Plan". Both were listed as having advanced DTS Master Audio surround formats. All is Lost did have the advanced format and sounded great. Escape Plan which is listed online to have a 7.1 speaker DTS Master Audio format did not and only had a 5 channel surround format on the Redbox disc. My question is, does Redbox or Netflix used "stripped down" rental discs from the production companies that omit several of the original bonus features and advanced audio formats. I kind of feel cheated to be honest. I shouldn't have to buy a full version of a movie to get the advanced features I want to use. And to be honest, It's a crap shoot when I rent, as to which version of a disc that I get after I've allready paid for it. Maybe the rental companies should put a disclaimer when renting that the movie you select doesn't contain all features/formats as the original production discs you could buy in a store.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stripped down rental movies
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stripped down rental movies
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Good idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2014 11:39 PM PST

If the full deal was in Red Box then it could erode the remaining sales in the full retail market.

If you feel this is a bad deal (renting) then vote with your feet and wallet. As it stands, now you know it's rarely the full or same as retail VERSIONS!!! Catch that? Even in the retail packaging folk have reported variations.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Welcome to the new way of doing business
by Pepe7 / February 23, 2014 12:18 AM PST

It's an unfortunate truth- you don't always have access to all the bells/whistles when you rent for $1 from Redbox Sad

Now you know why so many people pirate/download this content.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.