Video Cameras forum

Resolved Question

Street comedian camera purchasing questions!

by nicklochet / November 5, 2013 1:39 AM PST

Hello! I am looking to do some candid camera comedy with a few of my friends on the streets. We are trying to find the best way to record audio externally. A bunch of the jokes require the camera to be a great distances making them inable to pick up audio.We were thinking about syncing up the audio using one of these external audio recorder. Just wondering if anybody had knowledge or experiance in the matter and help with this purchase me and my friends are about to make! I also was wondering if there was a way to record audio at great distances and have it sync up with the camera automatically (sounds more expensive we only have 3-400 dollars to spend) Thanks so much!

These were the audio recorders we were looking at... http://www.sony.com.au/productcategory/pa-voice-recorder

nicklochet has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Street comedian camera purchasing questions!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Street comedian camera purchasing questions!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by nicklochet

Collapse -
And have it as good as what you see on TV?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2013 1:44 AM PST

No. Even with assistance with a parabolic mic you can hear the degradation. Such is fine for surveillance work but content for others to watch? You would not consider that.

The old system of a wireless lapel mic is best with some audio recorder at the receiver. Only the very new would attempt dueling microphones are over 20 feet.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the timely reply!
by nicklochet / November 5, 2013 1:56 AM PST

So it sounds like i need a lapel mic. Does it still make sense to use a digital camcorder if im doing that?

here is a video showing an example of how i want to do this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_4IhKh4vwg

Collapse -
Yes it does.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2013 2:14 AM PST

Something has to hold the video portion. And it's a safe bet they didn't use a mic far away.

My son has the usual Tascam, I have a DR-40 and for really simple work a Sanyo ICR-XPS01M which I can hit record and leave in my shirt pocket.
Bob

Collapse -
Just to clarify...
by nicklochet / November 5, 2013 2:52 AM PST
In reply to: Yes it does.

So it sounds like i need 3 things: (i provided what i think im gonna get on amazon for each one)
I do not mind spending 2-300 on a camera and 20-40 on a microphone but the audio recorder is expensive! If it is something that i need to spend good money on I will but i was wondering if there were cheaper alternatives.

Heres my top choices so far:

-An HD digital video camcorder (i do not think i want to use DV's not really sure what they are)
Sony HDR-CX380/B High Definition Handycam Camcorder with 3.0-Inch LCD (Black)
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HDR-CX380-Definition-Handycam-Camcorder/dp/B00AR95FRM/ref=sr_1_6?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1383677249&sr=1-6

-A digital recorder
TASCAM DR-40 4-Track Portable Digital Recorder
http://www.amazon.com/DR-40-4-Track-Portable-Digital-Recorder/dp/B005NACC6M

-A lapel microphone
Pro Lavalier Lapel Microphone JK MIC-J 044 for Sennheiser Wireless Transmitter - Omnidirectional Condenser Mi
http://www.amazon.com/Lavalier-Microphone-JK-Sennheiser-Transmitter/dp/B009YCI62Y/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1383677396&sr=1-5&keywords=lapel+microphone+outdoor

Collapse -
The DR-40 is pretty high end.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2013 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: Just to clarify...

There's a reason I have the Sanyo. It wasn't that much and does a great job without the need for wireless and such. My son just edits it all in post production.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!