General discussion

streaming tv with ps3 questions

Hi all, I had some questions about streaming television with my ps3. First, I use a Vista and apparently there is a security mechanism in place (Data Exchange Protection I believe) to prevent you from streaming easily from a Vista via Media Center to the ps3. I looked online and found the folder to turn off to do that, but I'm hesitant because my computer just got messed up big time from a virus so I'd be nervous to turn something off that is a security mesaure for that kind of stuff - as far as I can tell. Has anyone done that and will it cause potential harm to my computer?

Second, if I can't do that I read that Tversity is a way around that. How well does that work? I know there's the basic, free program and the $35 pro version. Do you pay monthly with the pro version or is it a one time payment? Can you stream HD programming with both, neither, or just the pro? What is the quality and will it stop to buffer a lot? Can you stream live programming (not really a problem since I DVR most things anyways to avoid commercials, but just figured I'd ask in case)? Any other information that might seem helpful would be...well...helpful lol

Third, what about sports? That is my biggest concern. Is there any way to stream live sports in HD? I'm thinking about keeping a basic cable plan so I could get most football games in HD, but I'm a big hockey fan and around here most of the games come in on my local FSN channel- Fox Sports isn't considered a basic cable channel is it? I'm pretty sure not, but still need to ask to be sure.

That is pretty much it. I already know I can get most movies online from the PSN or web browser so that's not a big problem. Also, please don't respond being a **** just to say threads like this already exist etc etc. I'm sure they do, but I have other things to do and it is just easier to ask all the questions I can think of at one time and hoping for a few responses!

Is it hard to set all that stuff up to stream? I'm asking about setting up the program and simply setting up programs to watch.

Thanks for any help!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: streaming tv with ps3 questions
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: streaming tv with ps3 questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

CNET Forums

Forum Info