How To forum

Question

Streaming/ playing content from Laptop to tv

Hello,

I don't know if this is the right place, but I think this is the best place. I want to watch TV channels live on my TV, but I don't have a cable, so I was wondering if it's possible to stream content to my TV with a PS3, or can I just put an HDMI cable in my laptop and TV, and play live streams on my TV?! I just want to watch channels like National Geographic in my TV.

Thanks in Advance! Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Streaming/ playing content from Laptop to tv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Streaming/ playing content from Laptop to tv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: laptop to TV

In reply to: Streaming/ playing content from Laptop to tv

A hdmi-cable between the laptop and the TV generally works.

Kees

Collapse -
Link.

In reply to: Re: laptop to TV

Collapse -
Tv channels

In reply to: Link.

But do you also know if it's possible to get good quality streams from TV channels?

Collapse -
TV Channels.

In reply to: Tv channels

I've found that the quality is not that good. However, if you are streaming tv to your laptop, what sort of quality are you getting? There are many sites offering "free tv and the latest films" but the quality is crap!

Can you tell what you are streaming, and whether it's in HD or SD? There's no problem streaming it,
but what do you expect as the end result? A few more details such as what OS you are using would help.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
TV channels

In reply to: TV Channels.

Well, I'm actually not streaming anything yet, but I'm just searching if it's possible to stream channels without a TV cable Happy I'm talking about a windows 7 laptop.

Collapse -
Tv Channels.

In reply to: TV channels

Yes, totally possible. Basically, your laptop is a media server. You just need to get your PS3 to recognise it. See former link.

All the best,

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Yes. I bought this to do that.

In reply to: Tv channels

Collapse -
TV Channels.

In reply to: Yes. I bought this to do that.

Bob provided the source for good HD Tv. Now all you need is to get that from your laptop through your PS3 to your Tv. Your laptop is wireless as is your PS3. On your PS3, try going to video, search for media servers, and your laptop should show up there.

You then use your PS3 controller to navigate to your laptop and play your media from there.

All the best,

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Your Problem One Better; sort of

In reply to: TV Channels.

Currently, I have 2 wireless computers, one PS3, one XBox, one Wii, two Kindles, one I-phone, one wireless printer (I think that's it - not positive)...and I am contemplating a "smart tv"; all of this bandwidth channeling down thru the DSL modem provided by Frontier communications.

Now, my computers are choppy (HULU+ becomes unwatchable sometimes) and the PS3 is jumpy. My daughter complains her I-phone isn't working right. It's a mess.

I'd like to shoot the HULU+ from my computer to the new "smart tv" and the tv mfgs say this is easy, but I've never tried it. With me, it seems that nothings easy! lol

Is there a DSL modem I can buy that can handle all of these devices broadcasting "full-blast"; and if there is could you PLEASE tell me? Also, even if I get a super-DSL modem, don't I still have to worry about the bandwidth available from my house out to the world?

I just ran the "speed test" and came up at 1.1Mbps transfer rate; and I think I'd be pleased as punch to get the speed jacked way up. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Collapse -
I'm going with no.

In reply to: Your Problem One Better; sort of

DSL at 1.1 is decent but 5 or so more times slower than most cable modems. It's not a modem issue at all for this round.

Are you telling the forum the DSL provider hasn't helped explain this?
Bob

Collapse -
Speed.

In reply to: Your Problem One Better; sort of

What speed does your ISP claim they are providing you? If you're running all that on that transfer rate you will get jumpy video. Things to try?

Get an ISP provider with a better speed.
Turn off everything except Laptop, Ps3 and tv to see if it's bandwith.
The only alternative may be a cable.

Maybe someone else here has more info.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Answer
streaming to my tv

In reply to: Streaming/ playing content from Laptop to tv

You can plug in a HDmI cable in to you're tv and then you can watch tv on you're tv.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.