Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Strange unlabeled HD partitions

by Phaedrus76 / September 17, 2009 6:46 PM PDT

I happened to look at Windows disk management and got a bit of a shock. While my main C Drive partition is considered "healthy" (it's NTFS format) I have two ghost partitions with no drive letters that are also healthy but will not let me know what they actually are. One of them is the "EISA Configuration" partition I've read up on- since my computer is a Dell I assume it's there for the same reason it's there on everyone else's computer (though nobody seems entirely sure, even now, what that reason is.) The loss of 47 unaccounted-for MB in that case isn't a big deal to me, but more perplexing is the OTHER unlabeled partition (called, "unknown partition") that I've found. This one, a FAT32 partition, represents 4.63GB of space- and most of it is filled, with the exception of 682MB- a whopping 86%. That to me is a little more serious, and I'd love to know just WHAT this is- but the only option I get from the right-click menu is "delete partition" and the perfectly useless "help." Does anyone have any idea what this might be, or better yet, no a program that will actually let me look into the drive?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strange unlabeled HD partitions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strange unlabeled HD partitions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: partition.
by Kees Bakker / September 17, 2009 7:02 PM PDT

I think it's the recovery partition with the information that's needed if you press f12 - recover to factory conditions.

Kees

Collapse -
How do I know?
by Phaedrus76 / September 20, 2009 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: partition.

Like I asked, is there any program I can use to find out for sure? Since I have all my install disks I don't really see the need to have 4 GB sitting around doing nothing. I'd just as soon delete it.

Collapse -
To me, you confirmed it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2009 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: How do I know?

4GB is about right. But tell me how many copies of your restore media you have. I find many have "the one."

Collapse -
At last count
by Phaedrus76 / September 20, 2009 10:33 AM PDT

I have two backup copies along with the original disks. To be frank, if my four-year-old computer has a problem requiring a complete reformat I'll probably end up moving on to a new computer at that point. There comes a point where diminishing returns becomes a factor.

Collapse -
Those are the Dell OEM Partitons
by TheOutcaste / September 22, 2009 10:35 AM PDT

The 47 MB one is the Dell Diagnostics, the 4.63 GB one contains the ghost images used to restore the system to Factory Defaults. Your User Guide explains how to use them, but not how to view the files inside.

You can use Test Disk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk) to change the partition type bytes to the standard ones for a FAT partition for the 47 MB one, and FAT32 for the 4.63 GB one. Note them down if you want to restore them.

Once you've set the partition type byte, you can right click the partition and assign a drive letter and browse the files.
Dell provides a tool to remove the Recovery partition. Look in C:\Dell\Utilities\DSR
I don't know if this also removes the Diagnostic Tools partition.

You can also image the partitions with something like Acronis True Home, and then mount and browse the image files

Collapse -
Thanks
by Phaedrus76 / September 26, 2009 8:17 AM PDT

Thanks- that's a great help. I may go ahead and back up the partition to disk now that you've given me a way to take a look before I delete it!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!