General discussion

Strange start up issues...

I've had a Dell Dimension for a while now, and it's always worked great. Very recently, however, whenever I start up, I get a prompt screen early in the load up process that says the primary drive cannot be found.

It then says something like "Hit F1 to continue" and when I do, the machine loads up XP just fine.

I only have one hard drive, I checked all the drive cable connections, I have added or changed any components or related settings - everything seems to be in order.

I'm guessing that since it's so early in start up process that it must be a straight up hardware problem?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Strange start up issues...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Strange start up issues...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Hardware issue...

That definitely sounds like a hardware issue to me. Do you have a warranty still in effect with Dell?

- Collapse -
Do you have "floppy seek at boot"

enabled in the BIOS?? If not enable it. Also change the boot order to include the CD before the Hard drives.

This problem can be caused by the hard drive spinning up a little slower than before and the boot timing out before the drive is up to speed.

Ed O'Daniel provided this info in a thread, in this forum, about two weeks ago. By adding these sequences to the boot process it gives the drive more time to get up to speed.

CNET Forums

Forum Info