General discussion

Strange Sound File Plays When Browser Launches

OS is Win98SE
Browser is IE6_SP1

This problem immediately makes you think of some
kind of infection like a virus, spyware, trojan,
etc.

When I launch my browser and click a button or
type in an address a really weird sound file plays.
It happens only one time. It does not repeat.
Assuming its a WAV file I checked the sound
selection applet in the Control Panel to see
if any of the sounds I had chosen were changed
without my knowledge. Nothing had been altered.

I have Ad-aware, Spybot, The Cleaner (for trojans),
and a good firewall and anti-virus app. They are
all updated regularly. I scanned my system over
and over. None of these programs found anything.

The sound is kind of a science fiction or outer
space kind of noise, or maybe metal springs bouncing
up and down!

Like I said, it only happens right after I launch
my browser and perform some action like opening a
menu, clicking a button, etc.

If it is something that has been planted on my PC
by a hacker or some crazy app I installed why does
it only play one time? You would think a hacker
would want it to play over and over so it would
drive me crazy, right?

Lanyard

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Strange Sound File Plays When Browser Launches
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Strange Sound File Plays When Browser Launches
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Try this please.

<UL> The article [<A HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q293513 TARGET=resource window>Q293513</a>] explains that when having problems and when troubleshooting IE6.0, third-party <A HREF=http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/art/howto1a.jpg TARGET=resource window>Tool Bands and Browser Helper Objects</a> (Click to see an example screenshot) which have been installed, that this feature be disabled.

<UL><LI> <b>Tool Bands</b> supports the Radio Toolbar and can place a window on a band contained by the Rebar control that holds the toolbars.

<LI> <b>Browser Helper Objects</b> are Component Object Model (COM) components which loads whenever IE starts. These objects run in the same memory context as the browser and they can perform any action on the available windows and modules. They allow developers to provide easy access to their browser enhancements by adding elements, like an Explorer Bar, to the default user interface. Introduced in IE4.0, this feature enables developers to create Explorer Bars and add entries into the standard context menus. Beginning with IE5, this feature allows developers to add entries into the Tools menu and buttons besides a host of many other things.To disable them when applicable (depending on the IE version used):

</UL><UL TYPE=a><LI> Close all instances of IE. Click <b>Start, Control Panel, Network and Internet Connections, Internet Options, Advanced</b> tab.

<LI> Under <b>Browsing</b>, clear the <b>Enable third-party browser extensions</b> (requires restart) check box, and then click <b>OK</b>.

</UL>

- Collapse -
Re:Try this please.

Hi Cursorcowboy.

The sound stopped playing!

I just remembered something even more strange
than this mysterious sound file. Way back around
IE4 I can recall hearing the same sound file
play! Just like now, it stopped after a while.
I've been with the same ISP through several
versions of the Internet Explorer browser.
Sometimes I think their servers go a little
haywire and things bleed through that are not
suppose to.

I understand about BHOs. I'll definitely follow
your advice, however, I don't think I'm going to
hear that sound again.

Thank you, Cursorcowboy!

Lanyard

- Collapse -
NT - Good luck, and thanks.

- Collapse -
Re:Strange Sound File Plays When Browser Launches

Clean your browser's cache with Spybot or manually. lunch your browser until the sound plays again, than just search in your browser's cache and locate there any sound (wave) file and...than search fo it into your computer to locate it and...delete it , if you don't like it.
Michel.

CNET Forums

Forum Info