PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Strange sound coming from CPU

Hi there,
I'm getting a strange sound from my CPU and it seems to becoming more frequent. I'll give my system info and then try and describe the sound.
Hp Pavillion 754n, 2.53GHz Pentium 4, 1GB DDR SDRAM, 80GB Ultra DMA Hard Drive, 200GB Maxtor One Touch External Hard Drive, DVD+RW/CD-RW Drive, CD-ROM, HP PhotoSmart 7350 Printer, Epson Perfection 2580 Photo Scanner. I have Windows XP Home-SP2 as my OS. I regularly run Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware Personal, RegCleaner
and eTrust-EZAntivirus.
The sound is like that of a VCR rewinding, very high pitched. It sounds like it's out of control.My mouse freezes and the only way to shut down is to push the power button,(I hate doing that)
I'll reboot and it runs fine. For a while. It's probally happened about 5-6 times in the past few months. But twice in the past week. The last time it happened (last night) a blue screen appeared when I rebooted saying that it has to do a system check or disk check, something like that. Sorry I can't be more specific with it. It did a scan, said all was ok then it continued to reboot.
I'm a little concerned and I hoping it isn't anything really serious. Any advice would be appreciated big time.
Gary,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strange sound coming from CPU
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strange sound coming from CPU
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
seems like a hard drive problem

In reply to: Strange sound coming from CPU

hard drives dont last forever and it seems like urs is reaching its end...however i may be wrong and it may be something else...see what other ppl post.

could be something stuck in a fan and causing overheat...again see what other ppl may say

Collapse -
Could be your Processor or System cooling fan

In reply to: Strange sound coming from CPU

Open the case & see if you can pinpoint the location of the sound. If the cooling fan goes bad lots of bad things can happen. Operate the PC without the side panel or cover. When you hear the sound, manually stop the fan mounted on the processor for a split second to see if the sound goes away (should be a 3" square on the motherboard on top of an aluminum radiator). If that's not it, look to the power supply cooler or chassis fan(s).

A good prophylactic measure is to clean out your fans w/ canned air, but use short, half-second bursts. And do this outside.

I have this exact rig and the proc. fan was WAY too loud, I swapped it out for a noiseless Zalman Flower Cooler and I run it at its noiseless setting, very happy.

If you have any on-board diagnostics (SMART, temp probe etc) run them.

Could also be HDD going bad, back up like a maniac! Good luck!

Tony

Collapse -
Thank you for responding,

In reply to: Could be your Processor or System cooling fan

Is two years considered old for a Hard Drive or Processor? I can see where a fan might wear out or begin to, but a Hard Drive? Anyway, I'll take your advice and try and get an exact location of the sound.
By the way, if it happens to be the HD or the Pocessor, I'm gonna be back here needing help installing the new one.
Is it hard to transfer everything from one Hard Drive to a new one? Is hard to install a new Processor? Just thinking out loud.
Gary,

Collapse -
Check all fans

In reply to: Thank you for responding,

You really need to open case and check those fans. Any fan when it fails cause less "ait circualation" and thus more heat build-up. If allowed to continue whatever it was trying to cool will become stressed and at least become flaky or start to fail itself. Thus, a case fan cause "a;;" componets to be stressed and a cpu fan a more direct reslut for cpu shutdown or similar as the system bios will kick-in its safety temp feature(hi-temp) and sgutdown or reboot. Seriously, check the fans. An "iffy" fan is stop&go or not fully free to move isn't worth saving, just replace, ASAP. Rememeber, that a case fan if not working 100% may cause the HD to be over heated and sooner or later will fail or become corrupted.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I found it,

In reply to: Check all fans

I took the cover off my computer and was just checking it out before I shut it down for dusting. (It definitely needed to be dusted.) I heard a bit of a winding/squeaking sound coming from one of the fans on the back, I believe this is the case fan. I have another fan next to it but that has a duct that leads to the top the large heat sink. I moved the case around to get a better look and then the high pitched/winding sound started. I tapped on the fan and it stopped.
Looks like I need a new fan. Should I replace the other one too? Also, any suggestions on a brand of fan I should buy? I would like to get the best one for preformance and durability.
Gary.

Collapse -
Thermaltake and Zalman

In reply to: I found it,

are my favorites, might as well get the quietest one you can: www.endpcnoise.com has lots of good choices, but not the cheapest.

Collapse -
Check online or local

In reply to: I found it,

You can order online, but I prefer locally as I get it now and install it and quality is pretty good. Depending on your locale, Besy Buy, Fry's, and/or Circuit City should carry fans and gosh, RadioShaft :(. Buy a "ball bearing or magnetic type" fan, avoid any "sleeve bearing", brand is up to you. Google for online source, I beleive FrozenCPU and NewEgg are decent vendors.

happy USA -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!