Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Strange Services view.

by caktus / November 19, 2006 4:34 AM PST

Well, strange to me.

When I open Administrative Services suddenly the Extended view appears like this. The Standard view is normal.

I don't know what could have caused this. Probably not a big deal but I can't help being concerned til I know just what the deal is.

Any help to understand what's going on here would be appreciated.

I'm using XP Home and no viruses or other dastardly critters found.

Thanks.

Charlie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strange Services view.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strange Services view.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is that Windows XP ?
by Papa Echo / November 19, 2006 6:05 AM PST
In reply to: Strange Services view.

And, what changes have you made to Window's desktop properties(if any) - themes, appearances, etc ? Try reverting to the standard/default Windows desktop proprties.

Collapse -
reply to: Is that Windows XP ?
by caktus / November 19, 2006 12:46 PM PST
In reply to: Is that Windows XP ?

Thanks for responding.

Yes, Windows XP Home Edition.

No changes to Window's desktop properties, themes, appearances, etc. in quite some time. Last changes long before the Services view problem began.

Setting to Default settings no help.

After resetting to Default this File Type alert
popped up. I Googled it and learned that it may have been caused by installing Earthlink. However Earthlink has never been installed on this machine. I did install Opera the other day and it is still in board. But IE is the default web browser. The alert was from WinPatrol free so no Info available. And I clicked "No" since I don't know what it is.

Collapse -
Strange indeed.
by Papa Echo / November 19, 2006 4:20 PM PST

What does your desktop look like ? How about sharing a screen shot ?

Collapse -
RE: sharing a screen shot ?
by caktus / November 19, 2006 6:46 PM PST
In reply to: Strange indeed.
http://www.myfilestash.com/userfiles/downloads/DesktopScreenShot.jpg

Although the Desktop is customized a bit. it has never caused any kind of problems.

BTW, the File Type alert has since popped up about a dozen times. Been quite a PITA. Finally clicked OK on it. Then scanned for critters but all seems clean. Beginning to think mabe it did have something to do with Opera.
Collapse -
My thought also.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 19, 2006 7:03 PM PST

I've been reading your discussion and when you said that you had run all your scans and found nothing, it seemed to me that this boiled down to one suspect, ie, whatever you have recently installed.

As that is Opera, your problems point to that.

If this were me, I wouldn't uninstall Opera, but instead I would use System Restore to revert back to a time before you installed it. If you uninstall it, the problem(s) may remain.

Mark
Nice colors by the way............ Devil

Collapse -
reply to: My thought also.
by caktus / November 19, 2006 8:30 PM PST
In reply to: My thought also.

That meant backing up a week. SR points only went back 5 days. But made an ERUNT full reg backup 5 houres before Opera. Ran that and it did the trick. Services view is back to normal now. And haven't gotten the File Type alert, so far.

Lost FF2 which I downloaded/installed a few days ago. Gonna d/l it again. Now that I think about it, I hope that wasn't the culprit. I'd d/l IE7 but I think it may still have some growing pains to deal with, though I've been hearing of less and less problems with it.

Thanks guy's for your help.

Charlie

Collapse -
Changed Services View
by 1101doc / November 20, 2006 4:07 PM PST

Suprise!

When I went to Services my view had changed also.
My only system change in the interim was the latest
Windows updates. Read a post in one forum about new strange entries in Add/Remove. After the Update I have them too.
Microsoft is at it again, folks.

--1101doc

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?