Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Strange problem with WIFI connection. REALLY need your help!

For technical reason: I use a Intersil PRISM 802.11g Wireless adapter, a Speed Touch Home Modem (Alcatel) and a NetGear MR814v2 Router.

Ever since I have had my wireless connection, I have had this problem, only recently has it been getting worse. When I use programs such as Limewire, uTorrent, or Kazaa to download large files, actually to tell you the truth any size files, even 1MB, I often get this repeated connectivity problem. I usually get away with files under 20MB because they are quite small and don't take long to download. But lets say I am downloading a movie that is 1GB. Often after 15 to 20 min, I lose the connection to my router. The little monitor icon on the task bar which represents the internet connection gets a big red X next to it. I try to reconnect to the router, but it doesn't work. So I disconnect the entire wireless network and try connecting again, but that doesn't work either, often it just freezes up. Sometimes I try repairing the connection only to land on a dead end with more freezing up. So while I still have my current session active, I can never connect to the internet. I must restart my computer and the connection usually seems fine after that until I do the same thing again. This is really frustrating because if I download files through Internet Explorer or Firefox, large ones at that, it works totally fine.

I have called my ISP provider numerous times they keep telling me that my modem is fine, there isn't a problem, I should update the drivers to my Wireless adapter and router. I have done that, i have even reformatted the PC and reset everything and still the same issue. I thought for a while the provider was the problem, I changed to a different, bit more expensive one for 6 months, yet the same problem, so now I switched back. The problem can be solved if I stop using those programs, but I find that being a stupid idea considering friends of mine can flawlessly download without this problem. Even my sister who is connected to my router, can download without the computer disconnecting. Possibly my wireless adapater has a problem, I have searched for updates, but only to realize that the company that originally made it, sold of its wifi adapter production to another company and the model has been discontinued.

As you can see I am really unnerved by this problem. I could really use some help. Anyone with similar problems or solutions would be of great help!

Regards Martin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strange problem with WIFI connection. REALLY need your help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strange problem with WIFI connection. REALLY need your help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No surprise at all.

In reply to: Strange problem with WIFI connection. REALLY need your help!

Collapse -
Somewhat different

In reply to: No surprise at all.

I have also used numerous spyware and malware removers... but I think this might be a different problem. I never get the blue screen... When shutting down, it freezes sometimes, but never the blue screen....

hmmm.. I will try again anyways.. thanks... anyone else??!

Collapse -
So are you trying the SIX PACK noted?

In reply to: Somewhat different

You may be passing up a fix. Also, this issue doesn't always result in a blue screen.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.