Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

strange problem with internet connectivity.

by jmgh / May 27, 2007 9:03 AM PDT

my system:

mesh desktop pc with windows xp sp2

belkin pre-n router

d-link usb adaptor

my problem:

when connected without security (password) i have intermittent connection, and (as is the case right now) sometimes, my internet connection icon tells me i'm not connected although i am.

when connected with security and password, my internet connection icon tells me i am connected with 54kbh and a strong signal, but i cannot even connect to my homepage in this state, and occasionally on connection i am met with the error message:

the network did not assign a network address to the computer

i have tried resetting the winsock thing as described in another thread, but to no avail.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

john.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: strange problem with internet connectivity.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: strange problem with internet connectivity.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which security? WEP?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2007 9:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
firmware
by jmgh / May 27, 2007 10:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Which security? WEP?

hi.

it seems i already have the latest firmware, so that isn't going to help...

its really strange. with wpa, the system tells me i have perfect connection, but in practice, i have no connection.

with unsecured, in the wireless connection window, next to my network its actually saying not connected, but at the bottom of the window, the only option it gives me is to disconnect! and the connection keeps coming and going...

do you think i could simply have a dodgy router?

john

Collapse -
It's that or a firewall.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2007 11:36 AM PDT
In reply to: firmware

I found one person who set the firewall to "maximum protection." Nothing got in or out. Some choice.

To test if it is I swap the router out or visit a free wifi hotspot. Let me be honest here and that the issue I noted is being found more and more often. That MAC hijack creates a lot of trouble.

Bob

Collapse -
windows firewall
by jmgh / May 27, 2007 5:42 PM PDT

thanks again bob,

i'm only using windows firewall, as comodo wouldn't allow me to connect at all!

i've now set up mac filtering, seeing if that helps. but so far no change.

john.

Collapse -
Try again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2007 11:51 PM PDT
In reply to: windows firewall

The discussion I noted about WEP and MAC filtering declares such DEAD! As in you can't count on it and in fact may cause issues if you have a pest in your neighborhood.

You can see how I found out in that discussion. Do that to see if you have the problem.

WPA (and WPA2 if your systems allow it) is today's cure. I can't write how often people don't try it my way.

Bob

Collapse -
Pbs using WEP and a fresh Windows XP SP2
by eric_hur / May 31, 2007 4:40 PM PDT

Hello John,

I have the same problem, using Windows XP SP2:
when using WEP, the icon shows "not connected", though I am.

When using WPA, no problem.

(I try to use WEP because another device of my network doesn't support WPA - a wifi receiver for TV; my wifi router is a Belkin G+)

WEP is not as good as WPA:
the 128 bit key is broadcasted every ... seconds, maybe that explains that the Windows icon turns red (though it keeps connected).
The message when displaying "all wireless networks" is very funny:
My_Wifi "Not Connected" You are now connected...
(But sometimes (once or twice this morning) it really disconnects BTW)

I thought Windows XP SP2 was now perfect, after all these years, and corrective patches... (Vista ? no thanks Wink

Finally, not to waste my time (because it's sunny outside ;-), I turned back to WPA.

Eric.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?