HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

General discussion

Strange Power On Issue

by timwerx / February 28, 2011 7:29 PM PST

I have XP and Ubuntu in one machine. I bought the machine a year and a half ago and it came with XP, then I installed Ubuntu 10.10 and have been using that -- getting familiar with it -- for the past two weeks.

I have the computer and all peripherals plugged into a power bar with a switch. At night, after shutting down the computer, I usually turn off this switch, cutting all power to everything. This has been my routine and I've had no problem with it for over a year.

Now, since I started using Ubuntu, pushing the start button does not start the computer on the first try if I follow my old routine. I turn on the main power (power bar switch), and push the Power On button, but nothing happens. Only after turning the main off again then on again, will the computer start normally. Or, if I turn off the power at the back of the computer instead, then on again, it will start. Or, if I shut down the computer normally and do not switch off the power bar, the computer starts by pushing the button as it should. It's as if the computer doesn't like being disconnected from the main power source. (This surely sounds ridiculous -- I feel ridiculous writing this...)

So I must ask: Is there any reason for this behavior? Do computers with dual boot or Ubuntu have some power setting or something to explain this? Or does this mean that some doom awaits on the horizon?

Any light would be most appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strange Power On Issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strange Power On Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A WAG
by Steven Haninger / February 28, 2011 10:17 PM PST
In reply to: Strange Power On Issue

Check in advanced power setting to see if you have one for what to do when power is lost. If so, see if there is an option that says something like "Return to previous state" rather than remain off. I remember having to do this with some ASUS builds if I wanted to turn the PC back on by just turning the main switch on rather than just bring up the PS control voltage.

Collapse -
Thanks, but...
by timwerx / March 3, 2011 9:57 PM PST
In reply to: A WAG

I looked around and can't find that option. It works fine as long as I don't unplug it, so that's what I'll have to do for now.

Thanks again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.