HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

General discussion

Strange PC;restarts

by Hershey07 / October 17, 2007 8:05 AM PDT

Hey guys, my PC is acting very strange. Previously whenever I tried to turn it on, it would take me to the System Recovery option and I couldn't really do anything, but now it's restarting on me whenver I turn it out, right after I pass the boot menu. So does anyone know what the problem is?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strange PC;restarts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strange PC;restarts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please Tell
by Darton Fury / October 17, 2007 11:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Strange PC;restarts

what operating system is installed.

Collapse -
As asked
by PKsteven / October 17, 2007 1:41 PM PDT

it would be helpful to know what OS, and some hardware specs. Other than that, you could have an overheating issue, infection, or power supply, bad ram, even MB issue. Hard to tell without info.

Paul

Collapse -
try pressing f8 as soon as you log on and hold it
by Dango517 / October 17, 2007 6:13 PM PDT

if no go, then f1. Does f1 take you to the boot menu? if yes, choose the hard drive and boot up from there. If you can get logged on try system configuration>diagnostic start up> this may fix or ID the problem for you. if not, try it again this time choosing the boot tab then click safe mode. Can you boot up in safe mode?

Yes we do need your system information. If your using Linux none of what I've said applies.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.