HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

General discussion

Strange Noise/No Picture

by jimmysmits / October 10, 2005 1:14 AM PDT

OK, I have spent the weekend building a new PC from scratch, and everything seemed to be going fine, until I stumbled at the final hurdle.

First, the specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI Royal
CPU: Pentium D 3.0 Ghz (model 830)
RAM: 2 Gigabytes of Buffalo DDRII 533
HDD: Seagate SATA 400 Gigabyte (7200.8)
Graphics: ELSA Gladiac 970GTX (GeForce 7800 GTX)
Power Supply: Scythe Plug-In Power 530W

With this I'm using an old DVD/CDRW and a Dell Monitor from a Dell System (which I'm writing this message on Wink )

So - everything installed fine (or so I thought) and hooked up - so I turn the power on.

First issue I notice - the U-Plus DPS thingamajig on the motherboard lights up with 3 blue LEDs, the fourth flashing, while a terrible beeping noise comes from the PC Speaker. Alarming. I turn the system off and disconnect the Speaker cable, check everything (seems OK...) and turn it back on. Same thing, minus the noise - but there is a tiny high pitched beeping noise still, seemingly from the motherboard itself. This can't be operating normally; it's clearly some kind of warning beep, but I can't figure out what the problem is.

Second: no picture on the monitor. Nothing - so I can't see the CMOS/BIOS to check anything or set anything up. The Dell monitor just shows the (power save mode, press any key), and when I do, the screen goes blank.

Questions:

What is causing the beeping/flashing lights? Some kind of power overload? I have it set to the correct 115V.

Why can't I see anything - could it be some problem with the video card (I tried switching to and from SLI mode but this made no difference.) Could it be the monitor (the monitor works fine on my other computer.)

Any help appreciated before I tear (more of) my hair out!

Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strange Noise/No Picture
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strange Noise/No Picture
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
all power connected?
by linkit / October 11, 2005 1:45 AM PDT

Does the card need power from the PCI-X slot AND an extra connector from the PSU? Do you have the power connector attached?

Collapse -
Strange Noise/No Picture
by jcrobso / October 12, 2005 1:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
in addition................
by PlatinumPPC / October 13, 2005 3:57 PM PDT

The high pitch screech sounds like the motherboard is not detecting the rpms of the cpu fan. If you wired an after market Monster heat sink right to the power supply, and I hope you got an aftermarket heatsink and fan, preferably a 92 mm Zalman given the 3.0 D processor is gonna run wicked hot. It may be that you have to turn off the cpu fan monitoring in the bios settings. That motherboard does have that capability, and I know it'll scream out the speaker like you described if it does not detect the cpu fan.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.