Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

strange new windows XP install problem - won't start...

Hi all, thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide me. I recently tried doing a complete reinstall of Windows XP SP2 on my laptop (details at bottom). I used a burned OEM CD from years ago (which I've already used once on the same laptop) and I have a genuine product key (which I received when I purchased the laptop). The CD will boot and install a bunch of stuff, ask me to reformat my hard drive (which I did, a complete reformat to NTFS), then which directory to install windows to (I delete the old one and reinstall/copy the files). However, after the files are copied (this is still during the very DOS-like blue screen during a new install) the computer will reboot.

This is where the problems happen - after a reboot, the screen will be the typical pastel/light blue of XP and say "resuming setup....." and then go to the teal background of like 98, pause, then my laptop will shut off. If I restart my laptop (keep in mind I'm no longer booting from the CD, if I do, I'll just be reinstalling Windows again), it will always say "resuming setup...." but it will either go to the teal screen and shut off, or it will give me one of two stop errors. One says that the video driver failed to initialize and another one will just be a generic stop error (aka blue screen of death). This problem is extremely frustrating and this is my third reinstall of Windows so I shouldn't have any problems - I've used this OEM SP2 CD before so I don't know what's happening. Just for kicks I borrowed my friends OEM SP3 CD and the same thing is happening.

Any help would be appreciated. At this point, my laptop won't even start.

Details:

Model: Acer TM8204
Processor: 2.0GHZ Intel Dual Core
RAM: 2GB
HDD: 120GB
Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon X1600

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: strange new windows XP install problem - won't start...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: strange new windows XP install problem - won't start...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Intel(R) 82801GHM SATA AHCI Controller"

In reply to: strange new windows XP install problem - won't start...

So tell us how you are adding SATA support to XP.

Collapse -
confused...

In reply to: "Intel(R) 82801GHM SATA AHCI Controller"

I don't get it. What about SATA support?

Collapse -
It's something XP doesn't do

In reply to: confused...

And unless you do something to add it or tell me something about a setting I take it you are not installing a SATA driver or setting that setting.

Yes, I'm checking your work. Please tell me how you expect XP to support that SATA as it's not native.
Bob

Collapse -
About that SATA

In reply to: It's something XP doesn't do

During the initial start up it's asking me to press F2 or something to install third party Serial ATA or RAID drivers...I don't press anything because I thought my HDD weren't SATA, or if they were, that Windows XP would figure out a way to support them.

All I have is an OEM disc and a product key, I boot from the disc and I don't press anything (no extra installs or whatever) and all I do is reformat and reinstall a new version of XP. Am I doing anything wrong?

Collapse -
That Acer TM 8204

In reply to: About that SATA

has a SATA drive;
http://www.notebookforums.com/thread134858.html

120GB 5400RPM SATA HD

I know little about installing SATA drives but I understand from others here that you have to install the SATA drivers/support, usually from a floppy disk, during the installation process.

There may also be a SATA setting in the BIOS.

If you do not have those SATA drivers then perhaps Acer's web site can offer them, and the method for installing them

Mark

Collapse -
About that SATA

In reply to: That Acer TM 8204

Thanks for the advice, but do you think that the SP2 and SP3 OEM version of Windows would offer SATA support right from the start?

Collapse -
Not my expertise, sorry.

I have to say I also find it strange that we have to revert back to using floppy disks to install drivers, especially when on new computer systems nowadays floppy disk drives are an accessory, and are not fitted as standard.

I'm not sure we can blame Microsoft. Whilst Vista has native SATA support inbuilt, I suspect that SATA arrived after XP was developed, and so XP's structure was not ready for it.

You can try Google for advice and guidance on installing SATA drives, and see how others do it without floppy drives. But I still think your best bet is Acer's Support, and Forums, if they have any.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
No. Windows XP from Microsoft does not have them.

If your BIOS has some AHCI or "other" sata setting you can try that. Intel.com has the drivers for your sata chipset but many don't have the necessary USB floppy drive.

It now appears that you don't have the procedure for this laptop in web or other hard copy. Do you have the BIOS option?
Bob

Collapse -
Link about clean XP install on the Acer TM8204

In reply to: strange new windows XP install problem - won't start...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.