Computer Help forum

General discussion

strange new files in my documents folder

by beelissa / February 27, 2007 6:02 AM PST

Something really strange has happened on my laptop and I'm at a loss as to what to do to even find out more about it. There are all these exe files there, and a bunch of them seem to be trying to run automatically but encounter a problem and need to shut down. Often when I boot up the computer (but not always) I see a bunch of error messages that these applications have encountered a problem and need to close. Here are the file names for those:

INPI.EXE
ELAG.EXE
HFKE.EXE
TAGT.EXE
BCSH.EXE
LPOQ.EXE
IEPJ.EXE
AJEA.EXE
NMRU.EXE

I searched for one of these and found it was in

c:\Documents and Settings\Owner.gatewaylaptop

Opening this folder, I found they are all in there and more besides, more exe files that don't seem to feel the need to shut themselves down. All of them are 26 KB in size and I'm going to list them all with the date modified:

AGIO.exe 2/25/2007
AJEA.exe 1/25/2007
AOHL.exe 1/25/2007
ATUD.exe 1/26/2007
BCSH.exe 1/31/2007
BEFI.exe 1/26/2007
BFJJ.exe 1/26/2007
CBQI.exe 2/24/2007
CTFM.exe 1/26/2007
CTOT.exe 1/26/2007
DPRL.exe 1/25/2007
DQDC.exe 1/25/2007
ELAG.exe 2/14/2007
GHTL.exe 1/26/2007
HFKB.exe 1/26/2007
HNOD.exe 1/26/2007
HTKF.exe 1/26/2007
IEPJ.exe 2/1/2007
IMAL.exe 1/26/2007
INPI.exe 2/7/2007
IRIN.exe 2/12/2007
JCRK.exe 1/25/2007
JEFM.exe 1/25/2007
JSBQ.exe 1/26/2007
KUAM.exe 1/26/2007
LHIG.exe 1/25/2007
LPOQ.exe 2/13/2007
MBMH.exe 1/20/2007
MJBI.exe 1/26/2007
MKDL.exe 1/25/2007
MLAO.exe 1/26/2007
MPSG.exe 2/3/2007
NMRU.exe 2/12/2007
OFES.exe 2/11/2007
OPLM.exe 1/25/2007
OUGH.exe 2/12/2007
OUNA.exe 1/25/2007
PMKQ.exe 1/25/2007
PNPL.exe 2/12/2007
QBBU.exe 2/15/2007
QUNM.exe 1/25/2007
RKBR.exe 1/31/2007
RMHD.exe 1/26/2007
SBPM.exe 1/25/2007
SLKG.exe 1/25/2007
SNOI.exe 1/25/2007
SRSA.exe 1/26/2007
TAGT.exe 1/25/2007
UTDT.exe 1/25/2007

So, if you're still with me, my first question is, what are these files? I ran SpyBot and Adaware, it didn't flag them. They don't show up in "My documents" so I guess this folder is a different folder. I've right-clicked on several of them and looked at "properties" and been unable to learn anything from that. I googled some of them (mostly the ones that I listed at the beginning, the ones that crash), with and without the .exe. Nothing came up. I don't see any of them listed in my Windows Task Manager. I am not a novice when it comes to computers, but I've exhausted my level of expertise without discovering anything about these files. Can anybody help me?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: strange new files in my documents folder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: strange new files in my documents folder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi beelissa
by tomron / February 27, 2007 6:08 AM PST

You said you ran "SpyBot and Adaware",have you run any other programs.

Try TREND MICRO and AVG ANTI SPYWARE,don't forget too update AVG.

Tom

Collapse -
Running AVG anti malware is a good idea...
by Edward ODaniel / February 28, 2007 6:18 AM PST
Collapse -
I've tried these, the files are back again . . .
by beelissa / March 18, 2007 9:02 AM PDT

. . . or maybe they never left? What I really want to know is, what are they? Are they definitely a virus? I've googled the filenames and all that comes up is this post. Could they be some program that is on my computer that uses them? But why would they not be in a folder with other files from that program? Is there any other way I can learn more about them?

Collapse -
What do you mean by...
by Edward ODaniel / March 18, 2007 3:25 PM PDT
"I've tried these"?

Did you go to the first link I offered and see what the person's HijackThis log showed? It indicated problems similar to what you mention -- a lot of strange executables.

After noting that and seeing the help he got did you bother posting YOUR OWN HijackThis log via the second link so they could help you with eradicating some problems you apparently have?

If you haven't done so, do so NOW as that is where and how you will get the assistance you require.
Collapse -
what I meant was . . .
by beelissa / March 29, 2007 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: What do you mean by...

I checked the HijakThis post and the filenames were not the same as the ones I've got. I tried running antivirus and anti-spyware scans and the files were not flagged by these. As you can see by the fact that it takes me weeks to even come back to this forum, I don't have a lot of time to take care of this (nor a lot of money to take it somewhere and have someone else do it). I contacted Gateway and made sure they're not some system files Gateway added to the computer (since they're in a folder with the Gateway name on it). Their rep advised me to run msconfig and make them stop loading at startup -- I did that and so far the computer works fine, so they are at least not anything needed for stuff we routinely do with the computer. I haven't had time to even go back and fix it -- it still comes up with a message from the msconfig thing each time we boot it.

I was really hoping to find someone with a database who could say "these files are _______" and I guess this HijakThis thing is the best place. Thanks. I will try that when I have time.

Thanks again for your help. I guess it's a more complicated question than I thought when I first asked it. I should have realized that when I googled the filenames and nothing at all came up.

Collapse -
So you didn't actually note that...
by Edward ODaniel / March 29, 2007 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: what I meant was . . .

as I indicated, the log contained A LOT of "strange little files" (similar to yours) and that, over the course of the three pages of that thread, as eradications measures were applied those "strange little files" disappeared from the log file?

A lot of malware generates new and different file names that are only to be found on the specific computer it is running on -- in those cases you will seldom even locate the file name with an internet search. About all you can locate is a PATTERN (which is what I located for you).

If you know little about computers and operating systems and the files "cures" are seldom simple as "highlight this, click that and you are done".

If you don't have the time to clean up a problem, it is usually fairly simple to make use of the system Restore disks that came with the computer to restore it to what it was when you bought it -- you have to re-install any programs you installed after buying it and have to re-apply all patches and loose all data you haven't backed up but it is fairly quick.

Collapse -
My personal solution(will it work for other people?)
by nohano / February 18, 2010 8:17 AM PST
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_remove_recycler_virus_found_in_hard_disk

This is what looked to be what was creating a problem for me with the SRSA.exe file, so I don't know if it will help you....

I apologize for reopening a three year old thread, but I felt this might be important; seeing as how I didn't find this clearly referenced anywhere else, and had to do a deep search with a little guesswork to find the right virus that was causing my specific error.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.