General discussion

Strange Network Behavior after MS Security Update

I'm not sure the facts are related, but... yesterday I installed the latest MS Security Updates for Windows and Internet Explorer. I'm running a network (mixed W98/Me/XP). Now, when I try to browse the network, I get a "network is not available" warning. HOWEVER, when I use FIND, I can access any computer on the network; when I click on links established previously in Neighborhood Network, they work. When I use the cd\\<computername> command, I get access. Internet Connection Sharing works fine across the net (DSL router modem). This is happening at home and at the office (two different and similar nets). Is this just a coincidence after the MS Security install?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Strange Network Behavior after MS Security Update
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Strange Network Behavior after MS Security Update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Its happened to me since 2 days ago, But I think..

its not MS update, because it happened before MS update installation and it happened to all OS in the LAN (XP pro, ME, 98se)

I would like to know how you solve the problem.

Have a nice weekend..

- Collapse -
Fix for XP - but as for the other OSes...

I suspect the update turned off (disabled) an XP service called Browse Network. Someone on the Annoyances.org forum alerted me, I enabled the service, and all returned to normal.

On my other net (without XP) the problem still persists.

John

CNET Forums

Forum Info