Computer Help forum

General discussion

Strange mouse behavior

Running Win2k, all the latest fixes on a 'frankenstein' with Pentium 2.6gHz processor, lotsa disk and 512 Mb memory and a MS optical mouse, I have a customer with a really strange mouse activity problem. It seems that if any program pops up a window that requires a mouse click, the window closes if that window is outside the boundries of the original program window. Sometimes, it is even the same area as the original. I have talked w/ Intuit (Quicken 2004) about the problem and they say it is a setting in the machine, not a problem with their program. I have looked all through the registry and the docs I have with no reference to this mouse activity. It is not the property that causes the mouse to jump to the 'default' in a message box. Has anyone seen this before?? I have been chasing this for about 2 months now and have no idea where to look next.

Thanks..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strange mouse behavior
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strange mouse behavior
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Strange mouse behavior

In reply to: Strange mouse behavior

Just asking. Since its a customer, are you charging them for advice you use from this forum?

You would install all the latest drivers for motherboard, USB, video, that Microsoft doesn't install and check that DMA is enabled.

All spyware and parasites would be removed as well.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Strange mouse behavior

In reply to: Re: Strange mouse behavior

I am an interpreter for the hearing impaired, The 'customer' is a client who uses my services as an interpreter, usually paid for by others, like meeting co-ordinaters, and found out that I also know computers. I am doing this as a favor. No charge, also for my own education. All the latest drivers and updates are installed. The machine is 'sanitized' often and completely. I was told by Intuit that it was a setting in the registry or something like that. It is a 'property' that is set/unset. I just have no idea where it can be modified.

Collapse -
Tell all the details.

In reply to: Re: Strange mouse behavior

You didn't tell how it was sanitized. With PESTS we find daily with tools like Adaware, Spybot, Stinger, Housecall and more. And even these may miss some item that we have to dig deeper into.

Your post didn't reveal how you found these latest drivers. Microsoft has some "button" labeled "Update Driver" that is nothing but a demo. Some write back they updated drivers, but didn't fetch and install motherboard and more drivers from maker web sites. Many don't know about motherboard drivers and DMA settings.

Your post is lacking in depth so I ask you use more words to detail how you accomplished both items.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.