Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Strange Keyboard Problem

by gkornbluth / February 14, 2007 9:48 PM PST

I?ve got a sticky problem and sure could use someones help.

I?ve got a Vaio laptop running xp2 with 2 users. When one of the users is logged in, the built in laptop keyboard works fine. When the other logs in, the laptop keyboard consistently types wrong letters. I.E. ?C? types ?o? and P types ?Q?.

The substitutions are always the same and occur in all programs including notepad and when trying to enter a program name on the ?run? command line.

Here?s the sticky part. An external keyboard works perfectly on both users.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jerry

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strange Keyboard Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strange Keyboard Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Only ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2007 10:44 PM PST

I wonder if some keyboard mapper is in use. But skip that. Here's what I would do.

Create a new account and migrate the failed user's files to the new account.

Bob

Collapse -
RE:
by chinatown7 / February 14, 2007 11:14 PM PST

Double check your keyboard setting with the other user.

Control Panel ? regional & language ? language tab ? details ? is it set to English (US)?

How about the driver- same also?

CHINATOWN

Collapse -
Language
by Amos16 / February 15, 2007 2:31 AM PST

Have a look in the taskbar which language is listed there when you use the other account. It should show EN and if you point your mouse on it it should read English (United States). If it does not you will know what to change in the Regional and Language program. Going into it blindly can be quite confusing. Hope this helps - Amos.

Collapse -
Strange Keyboard Problem
by gkornbluth / February 15, 2007 6:42 AM PST
In reply to: Language

thanks for the ideas, I'll give them a try and post the results

Jerry

Collapse -
I'm having the same problem!
by alphacharlie1 / February 28, 2007 3:59 AM PST

On a Gateway MX6446 Laptop running Win XP Media Center Edit (2002), SP2.

I've already checked the language settings & they're set to EN(US).

Admittedly, I am playing around out there without any protection... no AV software, no firewalls, or XP Security Center, and a fully-opened router. I've even recently visited a few of the forbidden places. So yeah, umm, I am kinda thinking that I might have caught the typographical cooties. Silly

As with you, when I use a different login, no keyb problems. The only difference is that my keys aren't mapping as yours... ie, "c" still equals "c", but "u", "i" and "o" equal "4","5", amd "6" respectively, amd so on.

Collapse -
Your choice. But keyboard loggers would be suspects.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2007 4:14 AM PST
Collapse -
VIRUS
by alphacharlie1 / March 7, 2007 4:03 AM PST

Yes, mine was a virus of some kind. Whatever it was Norton made it disappear.

Thanks!

M.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.