Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Strange Java icon in my systray

by zeebell / January 1, 2005 2:02 PM PST

Gateway 400 Select PC; Windows 98SE; 160 MB RAM; IE 6 SP1

A few weeks ago I downloaded Sun's Java 1.42_06. Things have been working smoothly.

A bit ago however, while I was on the internet, a Java icon appeared out of nowwhere in my systray. When I click on it (I can only right click on it), it has Hide Icon, About Java Technology, Go to Java.com, Open Control Panel, Open Console. When hovering over the icon, it says Version 1.42_06 (build 1.4.2_06_b03) JAVA (TM)2 Platform.

I have not had this icon appear until about 30 minutes ago. I immediately ran Ad-aware which showed 1 critical object (mirrorworld tracking cookie)and Spybot (which said Congratulations). I deleted the tracking cookie as well as the MRU items. I have not run AVG.

Why now, and where did this little coffee cup icon come from?

Do I need to be concerned? I know I can click Hide Icon and it will disappear; however, I was curious why it just appeared from nowhere.

Thanks - Julea

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strange Java icon in my systray
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strange Java icon in my systray
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
no need to be concerned, Julea.
by dawillie / January 1, 2005 2:24 PM PST

that is the Sun Java icon.

looks like something with a lil flame on it.

stays in your systray.

definitely not a gateway to your PC.

HNY.

david

Collapse -
Icon
by auggief / January 1, 2005 4:54 PM PST

Only time I see the icon is when Sun java is running.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) its java running no worries
by Mark5019 / January 1, 2005 7:40 PM PST
Collapse -
If you don't want
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 1, 2005 8:16 PM PST

the icon in your System Tray, goto the Control Panel, double click the Java Plug-in icon, and in the first tab, (Basic), uncheck the "Show Java in System Tray" option.

Java will still be called up whenever required, but it won't place an icon in the Sys tray.

Mark

Collapse -
thank you wasnt complaing was tell zzz bell
by Mark5019 / January 1, 2005 11:34 PM PST
In reply to: If you don't want

i dont see it unless its running

Collapse -
Mark, not sure what you mean.
by zeebell / January 2, 2005 4:27 AM PST

Are you saying, mine hasn't been running until the icon showed up last night ---- I've been surfing lots for the past 3 weeks or so, and it's never been there before. In fact --- it's not there now either. It was a fluke (for me anyway) that it was even there.

? ? ?

Julea

Collapse -
Oops!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 2, 2005 9:17 PM PST

Too many Mark's here for my liking, Happy

If you mean me Julie, what I mean is Java works when it is called upon, eg in a browser web page.

The icon in the Systray doesn't have to be there, and I don't know why Sun systems bother to put it there, except to advertise their products.

Like you I have used java plugins for years and never saw the icon in the systray until I installed Netscape 6 and suddenly the icon would appear whenever I started the browser. But as I don't like a cluttered systray I started rooting around and found the Java plugin console applet in Control Panel, and turned off the systray icon option.

Netscape 6 was a mistake anyway. It was huge and bloated, and needed parts of it started at boot up, otherwise it would take forever to load up. Netscape 7.1 cleared most of that up. But anyway, that's when I found the plugin console.

Mark

Collapse -
to my knowledge
by Mark5019 / January 2, 2005 11:35 PM PST
Collapse -
Thanks Mark, I already
by roddy32 / January 2, 2005 11:45 PM PST
In reply to: to my knowledge

knew mine was working but I checked this out anyway and didn't realize that Sun did this test. I saved the link on favorites and will use it when people ask about java, which is quite often, especially in the Newbie's forum. It tells you if it is working, which version you have and whether it is the lastest one or not an also provides download links. Thank You. Grin

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Win 98 shipped with Java, so why Sun??
by dawillie / January 3, 2005 12:34 AM PST
In reply to: to my knowledge
Collapse -
David -- I think you're right ------
by zeebell / January 3, 2005 1:31 AM PST

I probably shouldn't have switched --- curiosity killed the cat (LOL). I did think my navigating, etc. was better when I first made the switch, but now I don't think so. I may go back to the VM 3810.

Happy 2005.

Julea

Collapse -
wishing you the same Julea. I have one of the last XP
by dawillie / January 3, 2005 1:43 AM PST

that shipped with VM and I find it adequate for what I do, viz. play the odd game of cards etc.

Collapse -
David -- I appreciate your input on this
by zeebell / January 3, 2005 8:38 AM PST

I think VM is good for me too because I don't do music or games --- I'm a sig addict (collect signatures -- images with my name on them) and for that am sure VM would be good.

See you later.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) they have updated it for secruity i beleave
by Mark5019 / January 3, 2005 2:43 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks Mark -- I appreciate your input.
by zeebell / January 3, 2005 8:39 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks all for your help & verification.
by zeebell / January 1, 2005 10:18 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?