Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Strange issue with no text appearing in browsers

by kpauljr / January 12, 2010 11:40 AM PST

I have XP on an old computer.

A while back, out of nowhere I was unable to click on images/buttons in IE. I upgraded to IE8, and still not luck I then switched to Firefox, and everything worked fine.

I am now experiencing problems with other programs. For example, I have Mcafee, and when I click on it to change the settings I just get the outline of the Mcafee window, with the red M in the upper left, and the grey in the background, but nothing else.

Is it possible something there was some type of code that was changed first in IE, and that others are now using in their software?

Thanks for any help,

Ken

I am also having a problem with Carbonite. When I go to install it, same type of problem, the image appears in the window but nothing else.

I reinstalled the graphics driver for the Video Card. 128 Radeon 9700 TX which did not help. I also installed the service pack 3 for Windows XP, and no luck.

I can't figure out where to go from here, this is the strangest issue I have ever encountered!

Ken

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strange issue with no text appearing in browsers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strange issue with no text appearing in browsers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IE is likely the source...
by John.Wilkinson / January 13, 2010 8:19 AM PST

McAfee and other programs use IE to connect to the internet and, in some cases, display content within their own software. Thus, corruption within IE may vary well be causing all of the issues you're encountering. I'd uninstall IE8, which will cause XP to revert to the originally-installed version, IE6. You can then click here for instructions on repair-installing IE6, which should resolve the issues(s).

Let us know how it goes.
John

Collapse -
IE likely the source
by kpauljr / January 13, 2010 10:48 AM PST

Interesting that makes sense - but even if IE is not the default browser?

I will let you know how it works out.

Ken

Collapse -
no luck
by kpauljr / January 13, 2010 9:21 PM PST
In reply to: IE likely the source

I uninstalled XP SP3, then uninstalled IE8. It reverted to IE6 as you said.

I ran the program suggested in the article. I did not see it finish, but when I came back windows was operating normally, so I am assuming it did not find any errors.

I am still experiencing the problem, and not sure where to go from here.

When I load IE, and I click on a "button" you can even see the button change as though it accepted the click, but it just does not take any action.

I was thinking of running the computer in safe mode, to determine if it is some type of hardware conflict.

Help!

Ken

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!