Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Strange ICS Problem

by flyingflea / March 14, 2007 6:24 AM PDT

My laptop connects to the internet via my wireless router using wifi. I have shared that connection via my ethernet port to an 8-port switch, which my desktop computer is plugged into. Problem is, the Internet stops working on the laptop as soon as the Ethernet cable is plugged into the laptop. The Internet starts working again as soon as the Ethernet cable is unplugged or if the Ethernet port is disabled.

Any ideas why this is happening? I've tried disabling the firewall on all devices but doesn't seem to make any difference.

Basically I want to distribute Internet to the desktop using ICS. I'm using XP and I've already tried following the instructions on the MS website.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strange ICS Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strange ICS Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ICS
by Darton Fury / March 14, 2007 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Strange ICS Problem

is the problem here. Disable it. Your router will share the Internet connection with all machines.

Collapse -
RE: ICS
by flyingflea / March 14, 2007 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: ICS

Thanks for your post Darton Fury.

If I disable the ICS on the laptop, how will the laptop know to share the wireless connection it receives from the router, to the 8-port switch?

Collapse -
Can't go wireless
by Darton Fury / March 14, 2007 8:13 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: ICS

on non-wireless devices. Wirelessly connect your laptop to the router, right? That laptop is not sharing its Internet connection. The router shares the Internet. The switch plugs into the router. Anything plugged into the switch can access the Internet. Sounds like you want a wireless access point.

Collapse -
RE: Can't go wireless
by flyingflea / March 14, 2007 8:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't go wireless

The problem is I actually have the laptop connected to Cingular's 3G Broadband Connect service via a Sierra Wireless Aircard 875, so it doesn't connect to a conventional wireless router as such. I just used the simpler analogy of connecting to a wireless router so that people could better understand what I'm trying to do.

Collapse -
Next time, don't fib on the details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2007 8:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Strange ICS Problem
Collapse -
Sorry for fibbing on the details!
by flyingflea / March 15, 2007 1:25 AM PDT

I had a look at the article and tried googling Evdo Router but I don't wish to purchase further equipment if possible. If I understand the article correctly, it is showing how to make a 802.11b wireless card act as a wireless router. Now that could possibly work, however, I would much prefer the desktop had a wired connection to the 8-port switch and got the internet access from there.

I did try installing a wireless USB device to the desktop but for some reason it didn't pick up a wireless network. Yet when I installed NetStumbler it did detect a strong encrypted wireless network. So if someone can figure out how to fix that then maybe I can make the Sierra Wireless Aircard 875 act as a wireless router work?

Collapse -
The article applies. But you have to jump...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2007 1:28 AM PDT

In and tweak it to your needs. The basics and screens are noted, but you have to tailor it to your setup.

Good luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob
by flyingflea / March 15, 2007 3:01 AM PDT

OK I'll try doing that. When tailoring it to my needs, do you know whether it is possible to share the Internet through the Ethernet port or whether it can only be through the wireless card acting as a wireless router (e.g. not through the Ethernet port)?

Collapse -
I really don't know in your case but...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2007 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Bob

I can write I have used a PC as a bridge where the wifi was the link to the internet and the ethernet went to a switch with a few machines. So it can work. Just no step by step instructions or support is known to exist for this.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.