Samsung forum

Strange HDMI/PC issue with LN46B650T1FUZA

by benexclaimed / August 3, 2012 2:11 PM PDT

My LN46B650T1FUZA suddenly stopped interfacing with my PC after having worked for about a year. This led me to believe it was an issue with my graphics card, so I sent it in for repair and received a replacement. When it came back, nothing had changed. I've tried swapping ports and cords and the only thing that doesn't work is my PC. However, I've tried connecting my PC to other TVs and haven't had any issues.

When my TV is plugged in, my computer detects it (and even knows it's a Samsung) but my TV doesn't detect the computer no matter which port it's plugged into.

This looks like an issue similar to one here:

I'm expecting a call back from tier two tech support shortly, but I was wondering if anybody else who has had this issue has ever gotten a fix.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strange HDMI/PC issue with LN46B650T1FUZA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strange HDMI/PC issue with LN46B650T1FUZA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by benexclaimed / August 8, 2012 10:46 AM PDT

I never received the promised call back from Tier 2 support. I called back yesterday, got disconnected after waiting on hold, called back again, and finally got in contact with somebody. Because the paltry warranty has expired, they want $100 to send someone out, another $90 for any labor, plus the full price of parts. Terrific. And, based on what I've seen, this may not even be a hardware problem.

Collapse -
Did you try the PC input?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2012 11:16 AM PDT

Do other HDMI devices work?

Collapse -
by benexclaimed / August 8, 2012 11:31 AM PDT

-Computer will connect to my monitor via DVI and my other TV via HDMI with zero issues, but won't work with my primary TV.
-TV will connect to all of my other devices (Xbox 360, PS3, DirecTV) via HDMI but will not connect to computer
-When I plug my computer into my TV via HDMI when both devices are powered on, nothing happens. I used to be able to plug in/unplug at will and the display would change accordingly.
-If I shut down my computer before plugging into my TV and then turn my computer back on, it will detect the TV (a Samsung) and act as if it's displaying through it even though my Samsung indicates that nothing is plugged in.
-I've tried every possible combination of HDMI cords/ports and determined that the cords/ports all work on my TV with my other devices.

Collapse -
Then one last idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2012 11:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Re

There is some reports that if you unplug everything from the TV as well as power then leave it for along the HDMI ports get out of their funk.

I want to remind you that Intel worked very hard to "protect" HDMI connections with HDCP so all it takes is something to be a little off. Since the XBox works I fear that they will call your PC bad. And I have no reason to disagree as I've seen this oddity. And not only on this brand.

It's a shame HDMI has that copy protection feature since it, in my opinion has ruined a good thing.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?