Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Strange Google Alerts

by jr4939 / March 31, 2010 3:43 AM PDT

I use Google Alerts to keep track of the web adventures of my adult
children, and for my own ego. Have setup 3 such Alerts and it's
usually fun to see what they produce, tho only my son ever has any
real reason to be an Alert subject, Lately I've been puzzled by
a byproduct of this system. - Since last December, my Alerts mailbox has included
40 of the following kind of Alerts, together with legitimate ones, 3 for my daughter, 37 for myself, (and none at all for my web-active son):

"justine" || justine henin and kim clijsters rivalry || justine ...
justine roberts justine henin wimbledon 2007 justine humble lbuquerque
justine alessi justine horrens justine brown justine ruckert tasmania ...
<http://digitalreign.org/syilh/justine.php>"

The final HTTP domain address has been different in every single one
of these Alerts and links to a page of such entries, with no links
anywhere on the linked-to page, and none of the other domains pages
related in any apparent way to these kinds of entries. There are .com
as well as .org sites. The scripting language is always php.

I'm running this under Windows XP Pro, all updates applied; my main browser is Firefox 3.x with very occasional use of Internet Explorer 7.0

Can anyone tell me what is going on, and whether I have any cause to be concerned? TIA!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strange Google Alerts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strange Google Alerts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Strange Google Alerts..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / March 31, 2010 6:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Strange Google Alerts

jr..

Prior to reading your post, I had only heard of "Google Alerts". I knew nothing about the service, and frankly, still don't. With that said, I did find some information, which might (or might not) help, if you don't get any other responses.

In an effort to find out what Google Alerts were, I came across "Google Alerts FAQ". It's quite extensive. Additionally, at the bottom of the page, there's an area, where they provide a place to write and ask questions. Something you might want to consider. The article also references "managing your alerts".

I saw your (unanswered) post, from last week, at the Google Community forum. Have you considered posting at another sub-forum, within the community? Some of them seem more active, then where you posted. Just a thought.

I can't help but ask. Is it possible your "web-active" son, who you haven't gotten any alerts about, gained access to your computer/account? And possibly set you up to be "alerted" as to the activities of the tennis pros, Justine Henin and Kim Clijsters? As I said, I couldn't help but ask.

You haven't mentioned whether, or not, you scanned with any software, to rule out "unwanted visitors". If you haven't, I would suggest A-Squared Web Malware Scan. It's an online scanner. If it finds anything, put it in quarantine. If you don't already have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware installed, I would strongly suggest you scan with that too. Neither will cost you anything, and it's definitely worth a try. If for no other reason, than peace of mind.

Best of luck ..
Carol

Collapse -
Re: Strange Google Alerts
by jr4939 / March 31, 2010 6:45 AM PDT

Thanks, Carol. That is helpful! - I will try another Google Community forum if there's no response in a few more days. And go back and read the FAQ again! Appreciate the software recs but I already use Malware Bytes. And do know it's not my son Happy Ego Alerts can be fun if you don't have too common a name.

Justine

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome, Justine.
by Carol~ Forum moderator / March 31, 2010 6:56 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.