General discussion

Strange Gibberish in some windows

Hi All,

I have been noticing for awhile something funky. For example, if I go to close a window without saving, it asks "Do you want to save changes to" and then looks like Japanese or Korean writing.

It's not a show stopper, just annoying. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks!
G

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Strange Gibberish in some windows
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Strange Gibberish in some windows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Windows 95 Laptop?

Unfortunately, you've given us NO INFORMATION about your computer.. Operating system? Laptop or desktop? Do you have Japanese or Korean language options enabled? Which program exactly, gives you the error? MS Word? Something else? Which "line" in the "Do you want to save changes to" shows the funky writing? Do you have any folders which "looks like Japanese or Korean writing"? (Generally, the "Save in" line of the Save boxes only go to actual folders which would indicate there is a folder named such.)

Just in case it's malware, have you recently run a full system scan with a good, current antimalware scanner?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

- Collapse -
Re: Strange gibberish in some windows

I've seen this before on WinXp OS but the one I'm writing about is Vista32 Ultimate on an HP Pavilion a1747a desktop.

I have Norton 360 running and I use spybot search n destroy, Ad Aware, and Malwarebyte's anti-malware fairly regularly.

I don't think I have Japanese or Korean language options enabled.

I've seen this happen most recently with MS Paint when I try to close without saving if created from scratch.

All folders appear in English if I click OK, it's just the warning window that pops up asking if I want to save before I close that has the default name in Asian fonts. I think the default name is usually "untitled". If you want a screen shot, let me know where I can upload to.

Sorry for not providing more detail earlier, didn't think it was relevant to the issue.

Thanks for reading. It's not really more than a minor annoyance and a little curious to the cause.

- Collapse -
Have You Checked?

I'm not on a Vista machine here, but many of the languages that you had to "add" in XP are now installed by default and may not be easily removed but you could certainly check.. You should be able to open the Control Panel, click on "Clock, Language, and Region", and then click on "Regional and Language Options". Click the "Keyboards and Languages" tab and under "Display language", if there is an incorrect language, try removing it.

Then again, Spybot is causing a few issues with other programs lately, especially if "Teatimer" and the Browser add-in are enabled.. Try uninstalling Spybot to see if it helps.

Hope this helps.

Grif

CNET Forums

Forum Info