Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Strange error messsage Ox7C91484B

by grandpaw7 / April 27, 2005 9:44 PM PDT

Occasionally I get some kind of strange message that makes no sense to me. I have been just clicking OK and going about my business, though a curiosity as to what the message meant lingered in me. This time, I thought I'd bring the message to the forum to see what input I received.

While I'd like to know what this specific message means, in a more general sense I'd like to know how users should deal with this kind of message. I realize the common reply "well, it depends" (as does everything in life) applies, but does that mean a user can delete a message such as this one, or does it mean that a user should investigate a message such as this one? Hopefully, there are others who encounter such messages and wonder what to do.

The error message reads: "access violation at 0x7C91484B (tried to write to Ox0-00030FFC). Program terminated."

Thanks, grandpaw

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strange error messsage Ox7C91484B
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strange error messsage Ox7C91484B
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well, hmmmmm. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 27, 2005 10:25 PM PDT

Doing a Google search on access violation at 0x7C91484B provided no results (strange), and I got the same results in Windows Help. Using just access violation in Windows Help got a gazillion results.

Can you tell us what you are doing at the time this happens? Are you surfing, doing graphics, word processing, or just sitting there?

Collapse -
Hi, Wayne
by grandpaw7 / April 28, 2005 12:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Well, hmmmmm. . .

I was just booting up, waiting for the boot up process to complete. So far, I've not detected any problems with the computer.

I don't know if this has anything at all to do with it, but in the day or so I disabled all the items in msconfig startup, then enabled select ones such as antivirus and later enabled them all and again disabled some selectively, all with a view to hoping that might speed up my dial up connection.

grandpaw

Collapse -
Hi, grandpa,
by Kees Bakker / April 28, 2005 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi, Wayne

If such a message occurs at just booting up, there most probably is a program running at startup that causes this message. As the program terminates without any negative consequences it doesn't matter so much, but it certainly makes sense to find out what program is causing this. It could be a virus, you know.

So I would advice to visit msconfig again, and uncheck and reboot and check until you find which program it is. Post the name of that program for more help.

It could be a 'service' (kind of special programs), but I don't think so. However, if you uncheck every program in msconfig, and the message still comes, post post again telling so. Somebody like Grif will certainly be able to advice you on checking the services.

And the bad news: all this unchecking in msconfig doesn't have any influence at all on the speed of your dial-up connection. Even with every background program you can think of running that speed is limited by the telephone connection to something like 45 kbits = 7 kbytes a second, and not by your computer doing other things.
If you can't connect to broadband (cable or ADSL) the only way to speed it up is using hosts or an adblocker (built in into Firefox) to restrict access to advertising sites or using Internet Explorer options to NOT show any pictures at all. But with quite a lot of websites you won't like the result at all, I'm afraid.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks, Kees
by grandpaw7 / April 29, 2005 11:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi, grandpa,

That error message I posted came up only this one time and hasn't come up since, so I'll let sleeping dogs lie, or is it lay, until they bark again.

I see in a number of places the suggestion that a person can speed up the computer by disabling some of the startup items in misconfig. I presume that this advice applies only to people on cable and that these startup programs don't keep the computer from reaching top speed in dialup. Does that sound about right?

I did experience a speedier startup when I disabled programs in misconfig. But that was because among the programs I disabled was one that has my Do List from MS Works popup at startup. That took a lot of time to happen so that when I disabled it the startup time was naturally less.

Collapse -
Indeed. Quite right.
by Kees Bakker / April 30, 2005 1:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks, Kees

Most programs that are run during startup go 'dormant' more or less until they are needed, so they don't really have much influence on the performance of the machine, especially with the modern machines with fast CPU's and lots of memory. If I have a look at my (slow and small) Windows 95 machine, I'm using now, there's Zonealarm using 5% of the CPU-time (that's a lot), and of course an antivirus waiting to scan all files I open, and Systray just sitting in the lower right corner, and a mouse program to support the scroll wheel. But if I do nothing, my CPU is idle for 95%, so practically speaking it's fully available for what I want to do.

Of course, it depends on the background program. But, generally, modern computers are fast and big enough to not have their Internet access (or in fact, anything you do on it) influenced by them in any discernable way. The more so with slow (sorry to say so) dialup connections, that hardly need any CPU to do their thing. One of the notable exceptions are MS Office indexing services (fast find) that may slow down a machine.

As you note yourself, the start of such programs can take a lot of time. And in Windows 95/98/ME they use scarce 'resources'. And, sometimes, they interfere with what you want to do (say, a popup blocker blocking popups you want to see). And a lot of viruses activate themselves at startup. That all are good reasons to monitor the startup list.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks for the additional input, Kees
by grandpaw7 / April 30, 2005 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Indeed. Quite right.

Live and learn. At least if you're a CNET member. grandpaw

Collapse -
access violation at 0x7C91484B
by billzhills / April 30, 2005 4:08 AM PDT

Grandpaw,

An "access violation" is the attempt by a computer process (0x7C91484B) to access a memory area (Ox0-00030FFC) that it does not own or have permission to access.

Everone else covered what you can do to solve this issue.

Bill

Collapse -
Thanks, Bill
by grandpaw7 / April 30, 2005 5:52 AM PDT

I reckon I'll let the gurus deal with the technicalities.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?