General discussion

Strange black screen on laptop

Aug 15, 2009 12:47AM PDT

I have a Inspiron 1520 running Windows XP. I have been in and out of the hospital, and the laptop has been been being used for months. A few days ago, I turned it on and it loaded Windows and then went to loading perferences, got it online and then this black "screen" (for lack of a better word) apppeared. The strange thing is you can still see the website that I was behind this black "sheer" type screen. I was unable to go anywhere, so I shut down and did a rebot. The same thing happened again, then again twice yesterday.

Prior to not using it....it was running fine and I've never had a issue with it.

All anti virus and spyware are update.

I tried again before coming here and they same thing happened. What is weird is you can see the website behind this "sheer black screen".

Any ideas or help would be appreciated very much. Thought I would try here before having to make a call to Dell...which is like pulling out teeth.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Strange black screen on laptop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Strange black screen on laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
One more strange thing
Aug 15, 2009 1:06AM PDT

Just to see what would happen...I unplugged the laptop and ran it on the battery and it worked fine.

What would cause it to work on battery but not when it's plugged into the power source.

Of course, my warranty expired.

- Collapse -
Just links.
Aug 15, 2009 5:19AM PDT
- Collapse -
Brightness
Aug 15, 2009 5:38AM PDT

Ok...I followed the suggetions about brightness and that does not seem to be the issue.

The black screen only seems to appear after I've gotten online and onto a website and it doesn't happened everytime.

I just log on and now its working perfectly and then suddenly the screen will have that black screen over the website but you can actually almost see thru it, if that makes sense.

- Collapse -
So when you close the browser it works?
Aug 15, 2009 5:42AM PDT

I read this as a backlight dimmed issue. If not I see options like.

1. Try another user account.
2. Try another browser on that new user account.
3. Reload the OS.

- Collapse -
Accounts
Aug 15, 2009 5:52AM PDT

Ok...I'm one step ahead of you. lol!

I've tried it on all three user accounts on the laptop and it happens with Firefox and IE.

So my only other choice is reload the OS.

- Collapse -
Let's give ourselfve more clues.
Aug 15, 2009 10:00PM PDT

You say this only happens in WEB BROWSERS. If that is so, then Outlook (any version) may suffer the same issue but let's follow Grif's advice to scan for malware.

Before that however, all browsers can have ADDONs and "NONE" are required for the browser to work. Can you detail to the forum what you have for addons?

Now if this was my machine I'd know that, eject all and if that failed scan with FREE tools noted by Grif at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102-0.html?threadID=328220#2968150

And a pre-emptive NO! I use that link for the content and the same scans are used but many reasons beyond what the member asked about.
Bob

- Collapse -
Add Ons
Aug 16, 2009 12:45AM PDT

There are no Add Ons on either Firefox or IE.

My spyware and malware programs came back clean but I'll followed the ones suggested in the link and see what that does.

- Collapse -
Ok then. Post more clues. Here's how.
Aug 16, 2009 12:52AM PDT
- Collapse -
Hijack This & Stranger Things
Aug 17, 2009 6:25AM PDT

I posted my Hijack This at the suggested forum, yesterday morning but nobody has viewed it yet.

Is there anyplace else that I can post it...that might be more active?

Stranger things happen....Yesterday after running the HiJack This, I started to investigate the laptop. I went on a random button pushing...and not sure what I clicked on, but the computer has been running perfectly ever since. I shut it down three times yesterday and came online this morning and it was fine. Shut it down and just came online and again, it's working perfectly. Before, my button pushing spree it would "black screen" without seconds. Yesterday I had it on for hours and it never happened.

I am wondering if the touchy, feely fingers of my three year grandson could have pushed something without my knowledge. I tried to make sure the lid is down but a few times when he came over...it was in use and not closed. Wouldn't surprise me at all...same kid put a seashell in my DVD drive in my PC.

- Collapse -
I can't see it yet.
Aug 17, 2009 7:21AM PDT

Sorry, while I'm only a moderate expert (more a programmer than a pest stalker) if you could share a link to the HJT post I'd take a gander.

Bob

- Collapse -
HiJack This
Aug 17, 2009 1:21PM PDT

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 11:57:10 AM, on 8/16/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP3 (6.00.2900.5512)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6.0\PhotoshopElementsFileAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\astsrv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Authentium\AntiVirus\dvpapi.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgnsx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbcvcoms.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgcsrvx.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\WINDOWS\OEM02Mon.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
C:\WINDOWS\stsystra.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\KADxMain.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatchTray9.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Drag-to-Disc\DrgToDsc.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\PCMService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\LOGI_MWX.EXE
C:\Program Files\Verizon\VSP\VerizonServicepoint.exe
C:\Program Files\Verizon\McciTrayApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Lexmark X74-X75\lxbbbmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Lexmark X74-X75\lxbbbmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\CPSHelpRunner.exe
C:\Program Files\Craft ROBO Controller\CRSSupervisor.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
C:\Program Files\SanDisk\SanDisk TransferMate\SD Monitor.exe
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.4\program\soffice.exe
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.4\program\soffice.BIN
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgui.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgscanx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgscanx.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: CInterceptor Object - {38D3FE60-3D53-4F37-BB0E-C7A97A26A156} - C:\Program Files\Pando Networks\Pando\PandoIEPlugin.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NCO 2.0 IE BHO - {602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: AVG Security Toolbar - {A057A204-BACC-4D26-9990-79A187E2698E} - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\AVGTOO~1.DLL
O2 - BHO: Browser Address Error Redirector - {CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777} - C:\Program Files\Dell\BAE\BAE.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: AVG Security Toolbar - {A057A204-BACC-4D26-9990-79A187E2698E} - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\AVGTOO~1.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OEM02Mon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\OEM02Mon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell QuickSet] C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DELL Webcam Manager] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Dell Webcam Manager\DellWMgr.exe" /s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Broadcom Wireless Manager UI] C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] stsystra.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KADxMain] C:\WINDOWS\system32\KADxMain.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxWatchTray] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatchTray9.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioDragToDisc] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Drag-to-Disc\DrgToDsc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dscactivate] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\gs_agent\custom\dsca.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] LOGI_MWX.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VerizonServicepoint.exe] "C:\Program Files\Verizon\VSP\VerizonServicepoint.exe" /AUTORUN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Verizon_McciTrayApp] C:\Program Files\Verizon\McciTrayApp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X74-X75] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark X74-X75\lxbbbmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DellSupportCenter] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P DellSupportCenter
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupportCenter] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtcmd.exe" /P DellSupportCenter
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\DOCUME~1\Raven\LOCALS~1\Temp\SSUPDATE.EXE Software\SUPERAntiSpyware.com\SUPERAntiSpyware
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [Shockwave Updater] C:\WINDOWS\system32\Adobe\SHOCKW~1\SWHELP~1.EXE -Update -1100465 -"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009011913 Firefox/3.0.6" -"http://www.iwon.com/modules/launchGame/games/includes/blockDotGameIFrame.jhtml?categoryId=1&gameId=9003&browser=FF"
O4 - Startup: OpenOffice.org 2.4.lnk = C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.4\program\quickstart.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Craft ROBO Status Supervisor.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\SanDisk\SanDisk TransferMate\SD Monitor.exe
O9 - Extra button: Bonjour - {7F9DB11C-E358-4ca6-A83D-ACC663939424} - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\ExplorerPlugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (Installation Support) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\Yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {95D88B35-A521-472B-A182-BB1A98356421} (Pearson Installation Assistant 2) - http://asp.mathxl.com/books/_Players/Pe ... lAsst2.cab
O16 - DPF: {E6D23284-0E9B-417D-A782-03E4487FC947} (Pearson MathXL Player) - http://asp.mathxl.com/books/_Players/MathPlayer.cab
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\avgrsstx.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe Active File Monitor V6 (AdobeActiveFileMonitor6.0) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6.0\PhotoshopElementsFileAgent.exe
O23 - Service: AST Service (astcc) - Nalpeiron Ltd. - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\astsrv.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: DvpApi (dvpapi) - Authentium, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Authentium\AntiVirus\dvpapi.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: getPlus(R) Helper - NOS Microsystems Ltd. - C:\Program Files\NOS\bin\getPlus_HelperSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
O23 - Service: Roxio Hard Drive Watcher 9 (RoxWatch9) - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatch9.exe
O23 - Service: Radialpoint Unicorn Update Service (RPSUpdaterR) - Radialpoint Inc. - C:\Program Files\Verizon\PC Security Checkup\rpsupdaterR.exe
O23 - Service: SupportSoft Sprocket Service (dellsupportcenter) (sprtsvc_dellsupportcenter) - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell Support Center\bin\sprtsvc.exe
O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe
O23 - Service: wbcv_device - - C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbcvcoms.exe
O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\WLTRYSVC.EXE

- Collapse -
Your Hijackthis log disagrees.
Aug 17, 2009 10:59PM PDT

I counted 10 BHO entries. Those are addons to IE. I can't guess what you may have for the other browsers.

But worse than that I think I see AVG, Spybot, Teatimer and remnants of Norton. Why not clean those up?

Your HJT log points to a simple piece of advice. Clean it up.
Bob

- Collapse -
Ouch. More than 2 antivirus programs.
Aug 17, 2009 11:01PM PDT

I missed that other one called Authentium Antivirus.

- Collapse -
Strange.....
Aug 18, 2009 5:09AM PDT

After a thorough search Authentium Antivirus was not found anywhere on my pc...I've ran the search twice and no remnants of this have been found. Any clues where I might begin to look for it?

- Collapse -
From your HJT log.
Aug 18, 2009 6:24AM PDT

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Authentium\AntiVirus\dvpapi.exe"

There is hope here. Since this machine has 3 or more antivirus programs, the dated Teatimer and plenty of BHO (add ons) we can eject all these and then try again.

Reply to your top post with a fresh HJT log so I can clear off the out of date one later.
Bob

- Collapse -
Add on and such....
Aug 18, 2009 5:07AM PDT

Ok...went back and check the Add Ons on both IE and Firefox. There are four showing on Firefox that are part of AVG, I have those disabled.

IE I disable all add ons that showed in IE.

Now as far as AVG an Spybot...I use those two programs.

After some searching I find the remnants of Norton and removed those as well as Teatimer. I had removed Norton about six months ago and assumed (which I shouldn't have)that all parts of it were removed. Not sure what Teatimer is/was but I don't remember installing it or using it.

As I've never cleaned up HiJack This on my own...I'm not excited about removing items. I did find another forum called Major Geeks and posted the report on there, as nobody has replied to the suggested forum.

Thanks again, for taking the time to look over this.

Fingers are still crossed...the laptop is working fine.

- Collapse -
Fingers are still crossed...the laptop is working fine.
Aug 18, 2009 6:27AM PDT

"Fingers are still crossed...the laptop is working fine."

When we get to this place where all is working my advice is to slow down and stop fixing things. I'd still move on away from Adaware. Grif offers more current advice about what to replace it with at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?messageID=3105025

In short, we eject adaware as our old dated advice that it was and move to MBAM and SAS.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info