Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

strange behaviours on window xp taskbar

by Cindy Tsang / June 21, 2005 7:29 PM PDT

Recently my window xp taskbar has some strange behaviors. The icons in the quick launch area is not resposive, and sometimes they just disappear. Also when I minimise any opened windows to the taskbar, I cannot restore them by clicking on those tabs.

I have recently deleted the driver for my HP cd-burner, and also installed the Ad-aware. Is it the cause of the strange behavior? And anyone knows the possible solution to make the taskbar function normally?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: strange behaviours on window xp taskbar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: strange behaviours on window xp taskbar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can try this
by Steven Haninger / June 21, 2005 9:23 PM PDT

There is an option to lock the taskbar an you just just put your mouse on it, right click, and select the option to lock. This will not fix any hidden problem such as trojans, spyware, virus activity, etc. So, you want to do a thorough check and clean up of these possibities.

Collapse -
Locking taskbar doesn't help
by Cindy Tsang / June 21, 2005 11:39 PM PDT
In reply to: You can try this

I have tried that way, but it doesn't work. I have updated my spybot and ad-aware and norton definition, and have a thorough scan over my harddisk. but doesn't turn up anything supicious.

However, the latest check by spybot reveal there are a lot of missing shared dll and registry changes. Also there also this missing link that still appear on the registry after I remove a programme called "star downloader" via "add/remove programme".

Any more suggestion in cleaning the mess?

Thanks!

Collapse -
You can try System Restore
by Steven Haninger / June 22, 2005 5:42 AM PDT

Depending on how long you have had this problem, you can use XPs system restore feature to return some configurations to a time when you are sure this problem did not exist. This will be found under ProgramsAccessories/System Tools. There is never a guarantee this will work or not cause other problems, however.

Collapse -
Plug n'Play
by phantazy / June 22, 2005 5:53 AM PDT

Surprisingly this feature is interdependent with the Task Bar. Disable it and run windows, then if the problem is resolved re-enable it. Failing this download a small proram Taskbar Repair Plus 1.1 by Kelly..

Collapse -
yes, TaskBar repair
by Jim Johnson / June 23, 2005 11:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Plug n'Play

Yes, there are 3rd party tools to go into your registry and repair the teskbar.

Con: you have to redo whatever customization you want
Pro: everything works again!

I find that as I make system changes (add/delete/upgrade) that involve programs that try to suck up a slot in the System Tray, icons start disappearing - and if the only way to control that app is through that icon...

I like to use the System Tray option to selectively hide icons. However, after enough changes, this tool becomes totally befuddled. Turning the option off doesn't always help at this point.

Time for another Taskbar reset...

Beats the heck out of the suggestion to spend dozens of hours formatting and re-building a highly customized XP installation as suggested elsewhere!

Collapse -
Repair Taskbar - *Settings will be reset*
by rameshs / June 22, 2005 7:59 PM PDT
Collapse -
Sometimes you need a radical approach
by esotericx10 / June 23, 2005 11:18 PM PDT

When all is said and done, you may need to back up your important files and programs, reformat the hard drive and reinstall the operating system. This of course depends on how badly your system is infested with malware. Assuming you're using Win XP you might try opening "run" from start and typing in msconfig. Access your start up menu and try unchecking the boxes one at a time and see if eliminating these programs from your start up menu cures the problem.

As far as the missing DLL files, if you have the OS installation disks you may be able to reinstall the missing files from the disks.

Collapse -
Thanks for all the suggestions!
by Cindy Tsang / June 24, 2005 2:33 AM PDT

Hi
Thanks for all the recommendations. Tried the system restore, at the moment failed all the points that i tried. I think the dll is the problem, coz the spybot did identify a lot of missing dll. Also at the initial loading of xp after the logon, when I hover my mouse over the quick launch, there are indication the icons are clickable, which become unresponsive when all stuff finish loading.

Will try the third party program Happy
Thanks for all the help!

Collapse -
strange behaviours
by ludwig / June 24, 2005 11:43 PM PDT

I think you can rule out Ad Ware.
Another thing to consider is the size of your hard drive. If your computer is almost maxed out that could be one of the more simpler causes.

I also do not think deleting your HP would be a problem unless it was connected to many other functions so that when you deleted it ---it took shared or part of shared files with it.

Your best bet is to haul it into a competent computer shop and let the tech tell you what the problem is.

Microsoft is so nice to get you to buy their products but then if you got a problem with it they do not want to be bothered with you unless you got a million or so to pay them to talk to you about their software which they failed to debug enough. So avoid calling them if you can. You might find something on their website that is similar to what is happening to your computer.

Collapse -
Re: strange behaviours
by Cindy Tsang / June 26, 2005 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: strange behaviours

About the possibility of ad ware:
Think it's unlikely, cos now running 2 anti-spy applications with regular updates, also with the regular-updated norton antivirus programme.

Another thing is my hd is not max out yet, but this just prompt me to ask another question. When I try to defrag my hd, it doesn't seem to defrag my hd completely, I think it only defrag around 10% of the hd. So is it some setting problem tt I can alter, or is it some inherent problem in win xp itself?

Collapse -
Disappearing taskbar icon
by msmarni / June 26, 2005 1:23 PM PDT

I had the icon for my new printer and scanner disappear from my Windows taskbar recently so I did system restore and restored my computer to the previous day and that solved the problem. It hasn't happened since then. Good Luck.

Collapse -
Surprisingly....
by Cindy Tsang / July 1, 2005 8:24 PM PDT

This morning I switch on my comp and suddenly, everything seems fine again. I can click on those once unresponsive icon again.

I have posted a HJT log in another forum. So if I got any progress from there, will update here.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.