Computer Help forum

General discussion

strange and annoying

by Frank Wryte / November 9, 2006 7:47 PM PST

every now and then there is a process in my task manager called wuauclt.exe and it takes a lot of memory and freezes the computer almost. got two of these files. one in system32 folder other in prefetch folder. the 1 in preftech folder is called wuauclt.exe-399A8E72.pf. what's this all about? read that it has to do with windows update but i have wud disabled. any recs as for what to do about this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: strange and annoying
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: strange and annoying
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: wuauclt.exe
by Kees Bakker / November 9, 2006 8:19 PM PST
In reply to: strange and annoying

It can be the legitimate Microsoft program related to Windows update, but it has been reported it can be malware also: www.auditmypc.com/process/wuauclt.asp

Things to do:
1. Right click>properties>version tab, and see what it says. Microsoft programs generally disclose details there.
2. Have the file checked by your antivirus program.
3. If you're sure you don't want it to run (even if it is legitimate): just rename it (if it's running in normal mode, do it in Safe mode).

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
scanning and version
by Frank Wryte / November 9, 2006 10:21 PM PST
In reply to: Re: wuauclt.exe

may be the solution. unfort. when doing a nav scan on the entire prefetch folder the result is that no files have been scanned and nothing found. when doing the same to the file in the prefetch filder same happens. none of the files in the prefetch folder have a version tab. the one in the system32 does. is it safe to rename both files? what are they good for when i dont use the aut. update?

Collapse -
Re: scanning and version
by Kees Bakker / November 9, 2006 11:12 PM PST
In reply to: scanning and version

You can delete the copy in the prefetch folder. And (after scanning) you can rename the one in system32 and see what happens.

Kees

Collapse -
prefetch folder?
by Frank Wryte / November 11, 2006 5:58 AM PST

is that like a temp folder? how do i know if i can del files? now i have wuauclt and wuauclt1. is it safe to del them? sorry for the many questions. just want to b safe.

Collapse -
Somewhat...
by John.Wilkinson / November 11, 2006 10:39 AM PST
In reply to: prefetch folder?

When you launch software it takes time to fully load. Prefetching is XP's way of speeding up that process. It keeps a list of frequently and recently used files and programs and then creates prefetch files for them so that key components are loaded automatically along with Windows.

Now, there is no harm in deleting those files since they are not required for the software to run. In addition, if you still use the program(s) the files will be recreated later on. However, it is possible that that one file has become corrupt (it happened to me once before) so it may even be beneficial to delete them and let fresh ones be created.

When it comes to files in the System32 folder, I would not delete them. Instead, insert your Windows XP CD and then go Start->Run and type in sfc /scannow (with the space). That will scan all system files, including that one, and replace them if corrupt.

Hope this helps,
John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?