Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Strange........

by Rolway / November 1, 2004 12:21 AM PST

Here it is 1 day before election. I have noticed going thru town, theres not one Bush, Kerry or any "Don't Forget to Vote" signs anywhere in town. You would never know theres even an election around here. And its not a town ordinance about putting up signs either. Does'nt seem to be much excitement about whose running I guess.

George

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Strange........
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Strange........
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Strange........
by Glenda / November 1, 2004 12:26 AM PST
In reply to: Strange........

Maybe Boston has a NADER Raider???????? LOL
Couldn't resist:)
Glenda

Collapse -
by Josh K / November 1, 2004 12:29 AM PST

Maybe they're still caught up in that other campaign victory.

BTW, good sport that Manny, huh. I'll personally hand you $10,000 if you ever see Derek Jeter holding up such a dumb sign during a Yankee parade.

Being a World Series winner and being a champion are not necessarily the same thing, apparently.

Collapse -
by Rolway / November 1, 2004 12:41 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Strange........

Gee Josh...I have a feeling you are not the least bit happy over this win. Wink Well I don't blame you, it was kind of a sweeping display of talent.

George

Collapse -
by Josh K / November 1, 2004 12:47 AM PST

A good sport knows how to be a good winner as well as a good loser. Manny is not a good winner IMO.

Collapse -
by Rolway / November 1, 2004 1:00 AM PST

AS I recall, watching the parade, That sign was handed to him by one of the fans in the crowd. How long he held it up and how often the news replayed it I do not know. I thought it was cute. Mild compared to some others I saw. Manny is an all time great, the same as Jeter and A Rod, although I think A Rod is a poor loser.

George

Collapse -
by Josh K / November 1, 2004 2:10 AM PST

A-Rod being a poor loser kinda surprises me, being that, a: he's so used to it and, 2: it would not appear that he ever cared about winning as long as the checks were rolling in.

For me, watching A-Rod play baseball is a bit like listening to MIDI music. Every note is perfect and the beat is always steady, but there's no passion. A-Rod just doesn't have that grit, that thing that there are no stats for, that Jeter has. That's why I'd take Jeter over him any day, even though Jeter's "numbers" aren't as good.

I think it's fine for the fans to let all those years of frustration out and rag on the Yankees during the parade if they want; I just didn't think it was too cool to see a Boston player doing it. If someone handed him the sign and he just held it up long enough to make the fan happy and the camera just happened to catch it, I suppose he gets a pass.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) **sigh** What sign, Josh?
by Dan McC / November 1, 2004 3:49 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: (NT) **sigh** What sign, Josh?
by Josh K / November 1, 2004 3:54 AM PST

Looks like the photo has been replaced at the CNN/SI page. It was a sign saying something like "Jeter is playing golf today. This is better."

Collapse -
Not surprising after all the **** that Jeter was....
by Dan McC / November 1, 2004 4:32 AM PST

...oh, wait. Jeter didn't say anything except that Boston beat them fair and square.

Some people got a little class. Some got none.

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Is your state a solid blue or red state?
by Dragon / November 1, 2004 1:03 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: (NT) Is your state a solid blue or red state?
by Rolway / November 1, 2004 1:18 AM PST

I was referring to one town only regarding the signs. Don't know about the rest of the Cities & Towns.

I would assume the State is solid RED. At least it has been this past week. Grin

George

Collapse -
Purple States...
by Blake Cook / November 1, 2004 6:10 AM PST
I would assume the State is solid RED. At least it has been this past week. Happy - G. Rolway

Florida is a purple state and there are political signs everywhere. What's really refreshing is that the Kerry/Edwards signs far outnumber the GW/Cheney signs, at least in the Tampa Bay area. So Florida may well become a solid blue state after tomorrow's results become known...

Happy
Collapse -
The boheminans are K and the other very rich are B
by netsky / November 1, 2004 10:13 PM PST
In reply to: Purple States...

Coconut Grove's arboreal streets, winding streets, are amazing: ALL Kerry signs, about every third house.

OlD Grove is gentle, boheminan in flavor. There are few walls, but open fences and hedges. Hippy artists? Not any more! It grew so effing expensive years back to buy in the Grove, the hippies picked up on a white collar way of life. The smallest cottage is liable to cost more than a half million. Es verdad!

Coconut Grove is today a suburb of Miami, or "Maim-me", as i dub it on this morning of a crippling election

-grin!

The residents are diverse: neurosurgeons, lawyers, exectutives, etc voting Kerry. The laiseze-faire layout of the 'Grove attracts liberal millionaires. We don't chop down our trees here to add a swimming pool, for instance.

NOW let me drive you in my Model T Ford fun car, across US1, to find the Heart of Coral Gables: Granada Blvd!

Just as rich as old Grove; no, even richer!

These are stand-out trophy homes of impeccable taste. In Coral Gables the cats must wear bells and the residents until recently, at least, may not park a pickup truck in their driveway over night.

Every fifth or seventh house on the tasteful,straight-arrow boulevard has a Bush sign. Not one in twenty carries Kerry.

--What is this joke about? You know it is JOKE (netsky is happy this AM!)

It is not really a joke so much as it is a contest of contrasting Conrete-Block-Stucco ego constructions, a selection decided here between the Have-it-alls and the Happy-to-share-it-alls.----

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What are they sharing?
by James Denison / November 2, 2004 12:36 AM PST
Collapse -
My state of CT too ...
by Evie / November 1, 2004 8:55 PM PST

... although I would say fewer signs than usual as opposed to none. I hold out little hope for Bush here, but actually see more Bush/Cheney bumper stickers (what few there are) than Kedwards. The local Dems are not displaying their signs alongside Kerry while there do seem to be more Bush/Cheney alongside the locals. It seems odd for such a liberal state to shy away from connecting themselves with Kerry.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
My wife feels disenfranchised
by Dragon / November 1, 2004 10:41 PM PST
In reply to: My state of CT too ...

as a donkey (I sometimes kiddingly say "*******", instead), since the state has swung towards the elephant side of the aisle, and stayed there for a number of years. She is for a popular vote, though she feels -somewhat- mollified knowing that its possible for a state to split its electoral college votes. Shes predicting a trend in that direction after this election. I havent decided yet, if thats a good thing.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: Nobody wants to take down their Redsox signs.
by MKay / November 1, 2004 1:26 AM PST
Collapse -
While I was in Florida this past week,...
by James Denison / November 1, 2004 10:43 AM PST

...almost every time anything had a break for advertisements, at least 2 presidential ones came up, sometimes split, sometimes both for the same candidate. It started while I stayed overnight in Georgia at a hotel which also had north florida stations on the TV. There's not that much political activity in my part of Maryland, but Florida was awash in it, like a political hurricane. I got tired of it before the week was up and I'm sure the permanent residents must be sick of it by now.

I spent some time in St. Petersburg, ate at Po Folks and Piccadilly over on highway 19, (34th street?) probably drove past Blake's area a few times without even knowing it. Weather was very pleasant and mild there this time of year.

Collapse -
Entertaining Political Ads...
by Blake Cook / November 1, 2004 3:19 PM PST
I spent some time in St. Petersburg, ate at Po Folks and Piccadilly over on highway 19, (34th street?) probably drove past Blake's area a few times without even knowing it. - James Denison

Dammit James. I wish you would have told me you were going to be in town. It would have been nice to meet you in person. I've eaten at the Po Folks many times. It's possible that I could have met you there with as little as 15 minutes notice...

FYI: US 19 is 34th Street as you thought...

The Political ads have actually gotten quite entertaining. There are few "normal" ads on TV right now. Usually it goes like this. First there is either a Kerry or GW attack ad. Then the next commercial attacks the other candidate. In any commercial break, we could be "entertained" with as many as 6-8 attack ads against both candidates. It becomes hilarious after a while...

Happy
Collapse -
I still like the anti-kerry windsurfing ad best
by Dragon / November 1, 2004 10:43 PM PST

Though I havent seen all ads -- some ads are only shown in certain places.

Collapse -
I liked the wolves ad. Ed ODaniel would have loved it.
by James Denison / November 1, 2004 11:46 PM PST

It was a pro Bush I think but mainly aimed at who would best protect America against the wolves.

Collapse -
Re: I liked the wolves ad. Ed ODaniel would have loved it.
by Dragon / November 2, 2004 12:59 AM PST

I saw wolves once, but didnt see enough to know what was going on. My wife had been watching and was laughing at it. I have a hunch I may not get to see it...

Collapse -
Re: Entertaining Political Ads...
by James Denison / November 1, 2004 11:40 PM PST

I had so many things to do while there it honestly didn't occur to me till I was posting that message that we could have met there. I always stop by Po Folks when in St. Peterburg, the Picadilly is more Dad's choice. I had things to wrap up in Tampa to do with Mom's death in August, still not completely done but the remainder can be done from up here. Relatives and friends to visit there and some things I left stored there to pickup and transport back. As it was I still missed seeing a couple people I intended to. After driving around Tampa the first day, I was glad I no longer live there, the traffic is horrible now, and the streets haven't improved much either. I drove past my old high school and there's a section of road they tore up 30 years ago and then patched numerous times over the years. I figured the road would have been repaved at least once since them, covering over the patched areas. Nope, just more patches on it. St. Petersburg is a much better town to live in than Tampa now I think. The streets are better and the traffic less, and the city government isn't quite so inbred.

Collapse -
We Totally Agree On Something...
by Blake Cook / November 2, 2004 5:02 AM PST
After driving around Tampa the first day, I was glad I no longer live there, the traffic is horrible now, and the streets haven't improved much either...St. Petersburg is a much better town to live in than Tampa now I think. The streets are better and the traffic less, and the city government isn't quite so inbred. - James Denison

I totally agree James. When going east on the Howard Franklin, I can feel my heart rate and blood pressure rising as I approach Tampa. That doesn't stop until I get back on the bridge heading west. A great many of my friends live in Tampa, so I've had to make more trips there than I would have preferred...

St. Pete is a big city with a small town atmosphere. It used to be considered a retirement community, but they are now saying that the median age here is 38. The streets in St. Pete are in much better repair and are wider than a great many in Tampa. Even though everything in St Pete is spread out, it doesn't take long to get to most areas. I have never regretted my move from Tampa to St. Pete...

What High School did you attend???

I hope next time you're in the area, you have more time so that we can get together for lunch, a round of golf, or some other activity...

Happy
Collapse -
Re: We Totally Agree On Something...
by James Denison / November 2, 2004 4:17 PM PST

H B Plant HS in the Palma Ceia area of Tampa, on Dale Mabry. I'll keep you in mind next time I'm coming down there.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!