Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Storage/RAM (possibly) HELP!

by mitchthegayscientist / January 16, 2007 6:26 AM PST

I was using my laptop like normal yesterday, just going through some websites. And then I opened up a folder and I noticed something weird. Whenever I tried right clicking on a file, it would give me limited options. It wouldn't give me the usual "Open" or "Open with" or "Explore" etc, it would just show "Extract" "Add to archive" the usual winrar options. And then all of a sudden I tried again and I couldn't right click at all. So I closed the folder and reopened it and it was even worse. I noticed parts of the folder were missing. Not like literally missing but stuff that was supposed to be there wasn't there. Like the whole section that says "File, View" etc was gone and the whole left side of the folder was gone. So I closed it and opened up firefox and the browser was all black for some reason.

Later I tried to open up winamp and I noticed I couldn't minimize it or click certain buttons on it. And when I tried to start a chat on Skype (instant messaging program) I couldn't. It then gave me the error: "System error: not enough storage to carry out operation" or something similar to that.

I realized later that I could only do certain things if I only had one thing open. I can't use Skype if Winamp is open and I can't open folders if Firefox is open, etc.

I don't get it though. I didn't do anything, why is acting up all of a sudden. I have 1 gig of RAM on my laptop, so I don't understand the problem. I think if I do a system restore it should fix it but I don't want to risk it and mess it up or something. Help appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Storage/RAM (possibly) HELP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Storage/RAM (possibly) HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just guessing
by tubaloth / January 16, 2007 9:15 AM PST

Do you know for sure what the "folder" was that you double clicked on. It did sound a lot like a ZIP file which can look like a folder (and even act like it). If the ZIP file has folders in it you can see the folders also. I don't know what this ZIP file was? But i'm guessing it could have been some file you downloads that was pretty big. If you did unzip the file and you didn't have that big of hard drive that would slow your computer down. XP uses space on your hard drive as extra RAM. Things that XP doesn't need right away it puts on your hard drive to use the RAM for more important things.
It does seem surprising that you would either be out of Hard Drive space . Can you check how much space you have. What was the Folder you where in?

Collapse -
df
by mitchthegayscientist / January 16, 2007 9:39 AM PST
In reply to: Just guessing

Nah it wasn't a zip file it was just an ordinary folder. It did it to all my folders just so you know.

I have an 89 gig hardrive and I have 20 gigs left. I have 1 gig of ram.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?