Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Stopping System Restore on External HD

by Daviddude / September 21, 2008 1:24 AM PDT

Hi People,

I have a HP computer running Windows Media Center 2005 (with all the updates and Service Pack 3) 2.0 GHz dual core processor, 3 Gig of RAM, 250 Gig internal hard drive.
I have an external hard drive (Western Digital 250 gig) that I have assigned it a permanent hard drive letter reference through Disk Management. I have set the System Restore tab in My Computer Properties tab to not moniter this external hard drive K. Problem is that every now and then when I plug in every now and then for backing up my files via Briefcase - this will activate the System Restore function on that hard drive. This usually happens when I have the hard drive plugged in when I either turn off or turn on my computer. I stopped having the hard drive plugged in to hopefully stop the stop the System Restore on that hard drive (and then re-checked the System Restore tab). This morning, I plugged in the external for file backup and just on a hunch I checked the System Restore tab and it said it was monitoring my external hard drive.

Question is, how to I stop this from happening? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stopping System Restore on External HD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stopping System Restore on External HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why care?
by Kees Bakker / September 21, 2008 1:27 AM PDT

Let system restore do the work the MS engineers designed it for. What's wrong with that?

Kees

Collapse -
Because...
by Daviddude / September 21, 2008 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Why care?

If something should happen to the external hard drive (say it quits working) and I need to do a system restore it would not work because the external hard drive is part of the system restore process.

Also, System Restore on the external is just using up hard disk space.

Collapse -
That's a good point.
by Kees Bakker / September 21, 2008 1:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Because...

Let's investigate some things:
1. Is it related to having a fixed drive letter? What happens if you unfix it?
2. When is the folder actually made? When formatting, or triggered by some later event? (that's a difficult question).
3. How much disc space is being used (that's a difficult question also)? If there's no system on it, I expect it won't do much saving of old data either.
4. Is the switching on of the indication related to your using Briefcase? Or does it happen as soon as you connect it.

Kees

Kees

Collapse -
ok...
by Daviddude / September 21, 2008 4:05 AM PDT
In reply to: That's a good point.

Hi Kees,
Thanks for the reply - you bring up good questions
1. How do I unassign the drive letter to this drive? I just checked in disk management is it as easy as removing the drive assignment?

2. I can't answer this question. I have checked the System Restore monitoring before and after the briefcase update & haven't come to the conclusion that briefcase update triggers it. I have cancelled the autoplay feature of the drive and not cancelled the auto play feature (thinking well maybe if I didn't let the computer scan the entire hard drive and bring up the window that would stop it). I haven't done a format to this drive since the original format to NTFS.

3. When the computer turns on the system restore for that drive 0 it defaults to the standard 12%. Currently I have 189 Gig used on that drive - so that would be 22.68 gig of space used. Minimal I know, but until I burned data to remove and clear up space - I had this drive with only 4 Gig of free space.

4. It seems to be a random occurrence of the System Restore being activated on that drive. I just plugged it in and checked, right now the System Restore tab shows the drive letter but has a status of "offline".

I am at a loss as to what triggers the operating system to turn on system restore for that drive.

Collapse -
There's been a similar discussion
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 21, 2008 5:46 AM PDT
In reply to: ok...

about this in the Computer Help forum here.

Whilst interesting, I fear it doesn't help your difficulty much as the OP says his problem still hasn't been addressed.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks Mark
by Daviddude / September 21, 2008 6:23 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply and link Mark.

Collapse -
RE: System restore
by Kees Bakker / September 21, 2008 5:57 AM PDT
In reply to: ok...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295659/ shows nothing in the registry about drives.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301224 indeed shows that system restore is on a drive level. And it shows the possibility to turn it on and off.
Not clear indeed why it should turn on automatically.

To save disc space on a drive, turn it off and on periodically in the GUI. That's a rather bad work-around, but the best I have to offer.

Kees
Collapse -
Thanks Kees
by Daviddude / September 21, 2008 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: System restore

Thanks for the reply and links Kees.
Interesting reading.

My external hard drive still is showing as Offline (even though it is connected and I have updated my briefcase today)

I will save the links for reference.

Collapse -
Helping?
by helljack6 / September 21, 2008 11:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Why care?

You know Kees, I was chewed out earlier in another forum because I was told that my postings were not helping resolve the original issue, I can see that from your posting, the Mods are exempt from that.

To the original poster, in case you missed it from the linked conversation:

System Restore
by helljack6 - 9/17/08 9:37 AM
In reply to: Kees said: by RCF_Rose

Answer to your question is NO. Each drive attached to the system AFTER the system drive does not have a restore point, just a system volume infomation storage point. This is used to reference the MFT, hold useless things such as date/time stamps and other things that end users only see the final product of.

System restore is just that, a tool for restoring the system and all system files pertaining to that system, nothing more or less. That is why if you've ever ran system restore before, you get a warning saying that you won't lose any new files or documents or pictures you may have recently saved during this procedure because those are not affected during the process, ONLY system files, system file states and registry are affected during system restore.

Collapse -
Did you read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301224 ?
by Kees Bakker / September 21, 2008 7:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Helping?

I can't cut and paste from it, because I get the Dutch version which you presumably can't read, but it explicitely says there can be restore points on non-system drives. It's in the second bullit.

So I think you're simply wrong. No problem, can happen.

Kees

Collapse -
I saw, thanks, but look here.
by helljack6 / September 22, 2008 1:55 AM PDT

Why care?
by Kees Bakker - 9/21/08 8:27 AM
In reply to: Stopping System Restore on External HD by Daviddude

Let system restore do the work the MS engineers designed it for. What's wrong with that?

Kees

^~~~~~~~~This posting is what I was talking about

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?