Question

Stop XP shutdown/restart scrambling location desktop icons?

Every time I reboot/restart windows, it moves the desktop icons around on my desktop. I want to be able to move and organize my icons, but I want damned windows to leave them where I put them when it shuts down and starts back up the next morning.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Stop XP shutdown/restart scrambling location desktop icons?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Stop XP shutdown/restart scrambling location desktop icons?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Yup.
- Collapse -
Well...

At least it's not just me! I was beginning to wonder if I had just missed a setting or something. What kind of crazy deal is that? How could Microsoft ignore this issue for so long, and how have we put up with it so long? It's asinine. To have to resort/reorganize your desktop every time you restart your computer....windows can't seem to save the simple desktop icon locations as it closes?

- Collapse -
XP is dead. Long live XP!

Sorry I had to write that. No where in any XP feature list is "will remember your desktop icon location."

For years XP, Vista and I think 7 will scramble this if you boot safe mode and then reboot. It does not appear to be on a feature list or a priority.

Windows 8 dismisses icon for tiles and there is some hope they'll sort it out by then.
Bob

- Collapse -
LOL!

I'm sure you're right...nowhere did Windows ever promise that they wouldn't scramble the location of your stuff... Happy LOL! Common sense has never been a Microsoft strong suit. For example, their newer versions of programs (Word, Internet Explorer) seem to have removed the "File" and "Edit" pull down menus for "new-improved (cough)" locations. Oh, I'm sure removing the standard menus and moving them around is some type of improvement, just as moving the stick shift in my car (or the break peddle) to the backseat would be a great improvement too. Every year I get closer to going back to Macintosh.

- Collapse -
Survival Complete!

Bob! Fences seems to have survived a power down and restart, with all desktop icons intact! Thank you!

- Collapse -
Another nifty thing about Fences here on 7.

I can't say if it's ok in XP but should be. If I put my computer on a projector it handles it very well and when I come back from the projector to the desk, the icons are all fenced and where they should be.
Bob

- Collapse -
Fences

Bob,..you hit a home run with Fences. Woks great, and I like the appearance features. I can see why Windows XP didn't have this feature,..they had to wait for Mac to show how to "shadow" icons. I've been using XP for 5 years, and generally, it kept my icons in place. Only in the last couple of weeks has it gone bonkers.

CNET Forums