HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Stop programs from opening on startup.

by bluebird212 / April 23, 2004 9:33 AM PDT

When I start up my computer I have several programs that startup and I have to close them all out before I can start the program I want to run. I have icons in my taskbar that I would like to remove also because I'm told that it slows down my computer. Explanations in layman terms please.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stop programs from opening on startup.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stop programs from opening on startup.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Stop programs from opening on startup.
by cadcamjim / April 23, 2004 9:47 AM PDT

Click, START, Run..., type msconfig then click OK.
Go to the startup tab, and de-select any applications that you don't want to start automatically. Click OK when done. When windows restarts, you'll get a dialog box asking if you want to see this "message" at startup. Click the "Do not show...." box and that's it. To help decide what you want to un-check on the startup tab, it helps to be able to see the entire command path and location. You can re-size the columns by clicking and dragging on the line between the column headers, and also use the horizontal scroll bar. You can't make the window any larger, unfortunately; a little oversight by the code-writers of XP methinks Wink

Collapse -
Re:Re:Stop programs from opening on startup.
by allenorgprof / April 24, 2004 4:01 AM PDT

Thank you for your answer to that question. I have been trying to figure it too. If I want to redo the process, can I recheck the programs involved so they will once again be there on start up?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Stop programs from opening on startup.
by Tufenuf / April 24, 2004 7:31 AM PDT

allenorgprof asked: "If I want to redo the process, can I recheck the programs involved so they will once again be there on start up?"

The answer to that question is "Yes".

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Re:Re:Stop programs from opening on startup.
by Joyce a / April 24, 2004 10:25 AM PDT

I understand how to stop programs from starting but what I would like to know is which programs must be left in the start up list, if any. I'm always afraid to uncheck something I don't recognize for fear it's needed. Does anything have to be left on the start up list. Thanks guys.

Collapse -
by glb613 / April 24, 2004 10:56 AM PDT

Do a Google search for a list of common programs found in the startup group. You may find some peripherals or programs stop working correctly if removed. When I have an entry I don't know and can't find any information, I leave it. Be sure to keep the ones associated with your antivirus program and firewall.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Stop programs from opening on startup.
by Joyce a / April 24, 2004 11:09 AM PDT

Thanks glb, I'll do that. Seems I have a ton of stuff on the start up and I know I don't need it all but was too much of a coward to even try deleting. :o) thanks again.

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / April 24, 2004 11:11 AM PDT

Joyce, The link below should be of some help to you.

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

This applys to the list in the second link:

Key

"Y" - Normally leave to run at start-up

"N" - Not required - typically infrequently used tasks that can be started manually if necessary

"U" - User's choice - depends whether a user deems it necessary

"X" - Definitely not required - typically viruses, spyware, adware and "resource hogs"

"?" - Unknown

HTH,
Tufenuf

Collapse -
by Joyce a / April 24, 2004 11:36 AM PDT

Tufenuf, thank you soooo much. That's just what I needed, a kindergarten version. :o) I'm gonna start working on it right away. Thanks again.

Collapse -
by Joyce a / April 24, 2004 11:42 AM PDT

OH! NO! When I clicked on the start up tab in msconfig all I find is Start up Item....Command...Location. No Status or description. Have I done something wrong. Running XP.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Stop programs from opening on startup.
by Tufenuf / April 24, 2004 12:18 PM PDT

Joyce, Did you by chance click the "Disable All" button? You don't want to do that. Go into msconfig again and see if you can click the "Enable All" button. Hopefully that should bring back the entries. All you want to do is uncheck what you don't want to run at startup then click Apply/OK and restart your computer.

Tufenuf

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.