General discussion

STOP Message 0x00000024

Hello,

Our battery on our laptop is fully dead, so our laptop only runs off of wall power. The cord got unplugged from the laptop last night and of course, the computer went dead.

When I restarted, I got the blue screen with the message "***STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8A5C7A98, 0XC0000102, 0X00000000).

I have tried all of the options on the black screen that comes up such as Safe Mode and Last Good Configuration, but I continue to receive the blue screen. I have also tried using the options on the F8 screen with no luck. I have not tried any of the following options because I am not familiar with them: Boot Logging, VGA Mode, Directory Service Restore Mode, and Debugging Mode.

I then put in the XP installation CD and went into the recovery console. I entered the command "chkdsk /r", and it ran to 100% completion. I have done this twice and it has not solved the problem.

I have not been able to get past the blue screen since the power failure. I am not an expert on computers, but I am able to follow directions. Any help would be deeply appreciated!

Here's some info on the computer (don't know if it will help or not):
System = Dell Inspiron 1520
BIOS Version = A04 (11/05/2007)
Processor = Intel Core 2 Duo

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: STOP Message 0x00000024
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: STOP Message 0x00000024
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
More Info

Forgot to mention it's running Windows XP Home Edition.

- Collapse -
You won't like what you read here.
- Collapse -
Thanks for the suggestion but...

I read both of these articles earlier today and followed the directions, that's how I made it as far as I did.

- Collapse -
Re: error

My next suggestion would be to extract c:\windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys from your Windows XP CD, using the recovery console.
http://winxpfix.com/page18.htm describes how to do it for kernel32.dll in another folder, but using that as a guide it's quite doable.

I doubt if it helps, because there's no good reason why such a file would be harm by a power outage. But it's worth a try.

If it doesn't help, it's time for a clean install of Windows XP. Don't skip the delete partition/create partition step!

Kees

CNET Forums