General discussion

Stop Error 0x000000ED (is there a fix?)

Last night my computer froze up so I did a hard reboot but when I restarted the cpu I got a stop error 0x000000ED and it wouldn't load into windows. I tried going in through safe mode and the same problem occurred. Can someone please help me in fixing the problem? Does this mean that I lost all of my data? Is there anything that I could do to save the data on my cpu?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Stop Error 0x000000ED (is there a fix?)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Stop Error 0x000000ED (is there a fix?)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Data is not on your CPU.

It's on the hard disk. Take some time to learn the bits and pieces so you know where things are.

http://www.google.com/search?q=0x000000ED finds light reading about this stop message, but to recover the files may be beyond your current skill level. Don't take that as a bad sign but it takes time and learning to know what the parts are.

If this was my machine I would remove the hard disk and set it aside. Install a new hard disk, the OS and then add the old hard disk on the slave connection and copy my files off.

-> But this begs the BIG QUESTION. Where are your backup copies of what you can't lose?

Has anyone told you that hard disks do fail and to get ready for this day?

Bob

- Collapse -
data

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear about the problem. I understand that the data is on my hard drive. I think the issue here is that I am more concerned with losing my data then the computer itself. I actually back up my data about once every 6 months...the problem is that I have dvd's full of stuff that I can load up again, but they don't account for all the stuff I've gotten in the past 6 months. The irony of it is that I was getting ready to back everything up again this weekend. I have no problem with buying an hd and installing the hd as a slave drive. Do you know if the data is still on the hard drive? What I mean is, does this error have anything to do with a corrupt hard drive? I opened up the cpu and there doesn't sound like there is any problem with the hard drive spinning so I assume everything is still ok. The only thing I didn't get a chance to try (and it seems to be the most likely fix) is doing the /r chkdisk fix. I'm at work right now so I won't be able to try until I get home. Anyway, I'm sorry that I came across as a complete newbie but you must understand this could be a serious pain in the butt if I have to start over.

- Collapse -
Stop error

Hi - before doing anything drastic, try to get into the BIOS and disable the cache: if you have two try first one then the other. There is a slight chance that this will enable you to boot, and you can take it up from there. Please do and report back. Good luck - Amos.

- Collapse -
cache

thanks for teh message. i forgot to mention that the error did say to try disabling cache but that is one thing i'm not to sure how to do and this happened late last night so i never got a chance to really try

could you give me a step by step of what exactly needs to be done?

- Collapse -
cache

Hi - while the comp is turning on, and before the stop warning, press F2 and DEL alternately, until the BIOS screen comes on. (On some computers it might be F10, depending on the make.) You should find the instructions for disabling the cache on one of the commands appearing on top, and from there it MIGHT be easy going. Backing up first is always good advice, but in one or two cases disabling the cache really kept us going. (I have been using this machine for several months now with one cache disabled, because the fault was in the motherboard rather than the HD. There was no appreciable effect on its speed or accuracy.) I would do first what comes easy. On the other hand Bob's advice should never be taken lightly. See what suits you best and good luck again - Amos.

- Collapse -
The safest method is the new hard disk.

It can be the cheapest out as well. I just popped a 300GB 7200 RPM drive into my wife's machine (it was failing S.M.A.R.T. tests) and that was 129 bucks. Smaller drives are slightly less.

The files were still on the old drive if we needed them.

Windows also has it's FAST wizard to help move your files over.

Bob

- Collapse -
hard drive

thanks for all the suggestions, im definetly in better spirits now that all signs are pointing to the data still being intact. i read a few articles online and all signs seem to point to the boot.ini file being corrupted....my plan as of now is to go home and run the repair and type in chkdsk /p and fixboot to see if that works...if that doesn't work then i'll try chkdsk /r...

i plan on buying an external hd one way or the other

if the fixes don't workt hen i'll take the hd to my girlfriends house, set it up as a slave and verify that the data is still intact...then i'll transfer it over to the external and probably just buy a new cpu...hopefully it doesn't come to that though since my computer is still running strong

so you really think that the data will still be on the hard drive?

- Collapse -
If the data is still there, you can see it in the RECOVERY..

The RECOVERY CONSOLE has the DIR and more commands that you can look around. For the command line challanged, you can boot a KNOPPIX CD such as I noted at http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm

BOOT.INI REPAIR! There is a command in the recovery console to work with the boot.ini file. Look up BOOTCFG on google.com

But the downside of all this is that I found too many that make matters worse by attempting to repair the hard disk (and OS) before they save the files they can't lose.

Bob

CNET Forums