Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Stolen Corvette Recovered After 37 Years

by TONI H / January 17, 2006 7:34 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stolen Corvette Recovered After 37 Years
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stolen Corvette Recovered After 37 Years
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) neat
by Mark5019 / January 17, 2006 7:53 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What a story! :)
by lylesg / January 17, 2006 7:57 AM PST
Collapse -
Surprisingly it was found
by TONI H / January 17, 2006 8:02 AM PST

by customs in a cargo hold bound for Sweden...the NYPD looked through over 5000 cold car theft cases before they found the owner. He plans to restore it and give it to his daughter......she'll be the coolest kid in school. LOL

The car sold for $6000 when he bought it new and only had it two months when it was stolen. Wonder if the insurance company will crawl out of the woodwork now to get their payoff back since it was recovered...and now worth upwards of $50K or more.

TONI

Collapse -
The insurance never paid on it. That's why he still owns it.
by Kiddpeat / January 17, 2006 11:07 AM PST

I sure wish they could get the scum who had it all this time.

Collapse -
Hmmm...
by EdH / January 17, 2006 10:43 PM PST

Someone replaced the engine, tranny and interior, never registered or insured. Makes me wonder if it really is the same car. Or if they parted out most of the original and this one was cobbled together.

Collapse -
The VIN numbers
by TONI H / January 17, 2006 11:04 PM PST
In reply to: Hmmm...

somewhere on the 'frame'? matched up...but because of the other stuff replaced, that's probably why he said he was going to restore it. Perhaps the original insurance company paid off on it and he was able to 'buy it back' as 'scrap' when they found it since it wasn't all original?

TONI

Collapse -
Where are the VINs?
by EdH / January 17, 2006 11:35 PM PST
In reply to: The VIN numbers

I thought they were on the dashboard and the engine block. And since both this apparently were replaced...

Are they on the frame as well? That might be the only original part left.

From looking on the internet I see that they can be any number of places.

Collapse -
Also...
by EdH / January 17, 2006 11:39 PM PST
In reply to: Where are the VINs?

did cars in 1968 even have VIN numbers? I thought that was started in the late 70s-80s.

Collapse -
During one of the interviews
by TONI H / January 17, 2006 11:48 PM PST
In reply to: Also...

the newcaster mentioned that they were able to ID the car back to the original owner via identifying numbers stamped on the frame....I assumed VIN. Maybe only very 'classy' and considered to be expensive cars at the time were stamped back then?

TONI

Collapse -
VINs...
by Dick White / January 17, 2006 11:59 PM PST
In reply to: Also...

found this page briefly describing the history of VINs.

http://www.greatoldcars.com/decoding.htm#VIN

Seems that the standard we use now was established in '77 and became universal in '80. But VINs have been used since the '50s and were pretty comprehensive (though nonstandard) by the '60s and '70s. I suspect the 'Vette numbering system was pretty specific as to what major options were installed at the factory - color, engine size/type, tranny, etc. Some of those components (e.g., engine block, tranny case) had their own serial numbers as well.

What I find interesting about this one is that it was modified and repainted, but apparently never titled and tagged after it was stolen, so it was never used in public. What happened during the missing 37 years?

dw

Collapse -
It might well have been used. Get tags for a different car,
by Kiddpeat / January 18, 2006 12:32 AM PST
In reply to: VINs...

and voila! Go for a drive. It seems fairly obvious that the 'collector' knew it was stolen, and could not be registered or insured.

Collapse -
or...
by Dick White / January 18, 2006 1:10 AM PST

was moved south o' the border as the personal plaything of some hot-snot (drug lord, high government/police department official, whatever) down there. Was sold to somebody in Finland, but for whatever perfectly reasonable shipping purpose, was going out through a U.S. port... I suspect that there are enough suspicious collectible or other high-value car "deals" moving out of the country that the Customs people go over them with a fine-tooth comb before releasing the shipment.

dw

Collapse -
As I recall, the serial number was on the firewall. There is
by Kiddpeat / January 18, 2006 12:29 AM PST
In reply to: Where are the VINs?

no suggestion that the firewall was replaced.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Stamped in, or stamped on a drillable tag?
by drpruner / January 19, 2006 12:29 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The article said the original insurance never paid on it.
by Kiddpeat / January 18, 2006 12:27 AM PST
In reply to: The VIN numbers
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Might be worth something, some day! :-)
by Dragon / January 17, 2006 12:51 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) A happy ending, for sure.
by caktus / January 17, 2006 4:14 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.