The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

stolen CD's ,movies and scratches

ok i have a so growing up through out high school(never bought lunch in high school comics and CD's and movies. i had a lot of cds probley over 200 i lost a lot of cds in between college and high school here are my qustions.
1 is it illegal to re download threw torrents and other sites for free?
2 why the heck are cds and media so fragile ? is that on purpose so people have to buy it agian ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: stolen CD's ,movies and scratches
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: stolen CD's ,movies and scratches
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
not really a true answer

In reply to: stolen CD's ,movies and scratches

1. i assume yes...i think. but you bought the cds...unless each cd has something unique to each track...lol (then it would be easy to catch piraters). it /could/ be no since you already own the tracks...but i am not sure

2. cds are so fragile? i thought they would last for 100 years or something and that cd-r's and dvd+/-r's last for 5 years or something. making cds fragile keeps the cost down, the way i see it...i think. i don't think my cds are fragile (they have no scratches on them)~

Collapse -
Stolen

In reply to: not really a true answer

sorry i forot to add this most of my cds where stolen from me. does that mean i still have rights to the CDs that i had allready paid for what if i had gotten robbed ?

Collapse -
Unfortunately, no

In reply to: Stolen

And you would still be obtaining illegal copies from someone who is not authorized to distribute them. You no longer have possession, you no longer have the rights. It's no different from me saving all of my cds as mp3s and then selling them all afterward. As soon as I sell (or give away or lose, etc) the cds, I lose my rights to them and they should be erased from my computer.

I know, it sucks. But please, please heed my warning. There are some in these forums who will try to tell you that it's okay and everyone does it, no one gets caught, the record companies are ripping us off blah..blah...blah. But are any of them lawyers? Probably not. If they are, will they be willing to defend you for free? Probably not. And if you lose or settle, will they pay your fines? (For up to $150,000 per song)? Probably not. And maybe you won't get caught but maybe you will.

And no, I'm not a lawyer. But I do work in a law firm.

Collapse -
Yes, it's illegal

In reply to: stolen CD's ,movies and scratches

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Chances of you getting caught are probably slim, but you never know if and when it will happen. I guess that's the beauty (Grrrrr) of the RIAA lawsuits - they target anyone, from serious offenders to grandmothers who barely know how to use the computer (probably grandkids who did the downloading) - it seems so random that you just don't know. My feeling is that if you have anything to lose, be it money or possessions, or you have the potential to have things to lose, then it's just not worth it. Lawyers make hundreds of dollars an hour and they charge for every little thing. Creditors can take up to 25% of your take home pay in most areas of the United States.

The software for these torrents and other p2p services are legal. Maybe your (hypothetical) band wants to get a following so you decide to upload your music for free distribution. Or you want to show off your film project. In both cases, you as the copyright owner, are giving permission to download. These sites do give you a warning against downloading illegal material, yet some advertise that they have millions of songs available for download.

Like the other poster, I've never had any trouble with my cds. I've been collecting for a little over 20 years and have 2500 cds. My oldest ones work as well as the day I bought them. I handle them carefully and if they're not being played they are in their cases.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.