Phones forum

General discussion

stock trading dell axim X 30?

by cytobear / July 16, 2005 2:22 AM PDT

Bear with me , I am a novice. I need a small PDA to trade stocks with. I do not have access to a computer most of the day. Does anyone have any suggestions? I saw the Dell Axim X 30 and thought it might be ok. I have never seen one in action. I only have 2 sites I would want to go to and thats Yahoo Finance and Fidelity. I don't want to play music, type files,take pictures,games etc, only want to trade a few times a week.

What would be best for me?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: stock trading dell axim X 30?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: stock trading dell axim X 30?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2005 2:30 AM PDT

How would the PDA connect to the trading site?

Bob

Collapse -
through the internet
by cytobear / July 16, 2005 3:51 AM PDT

Maybe a PDA is not the correct term, but handheld device? I don't know the difference. In any case I need something that I can carry that is small and can connect to the internet wireless I think its called.

Collapse -
WiFi...
by John.Wilkinson / July 16, 2005 10:49 AM PDT
In reply to: through the internet

It sounds like you are looking for a PDA that can access the internet via WiFi, the primary source of wireless internet. Basicly, any PDA with WiFi would do for your needs, but it's best to make sure that you will be able to use it.

In order to use WiFi, you must be within 75-150 feet of the source of the signal. Thus, you'll be able to access the internet only if you are at home or work (and they have a wireless network), or you are at a public ''hotspot''...a location where WiFi access is available. Sometimes these are free, and other times you must either be a registered customer or pay per use. Also to note, not all webpages can be displayed properly on a PDA.

If you wish to access the internet from all locations (on the subway, at a restaurant, etc), it may be best to look into using your cell phone for accessing the internet...either directly, or using another wireless technology called Bluetooth to access the internet on a PDA, and use your cell phone as your connection. This way you could access the internet just about anywhere. The downside is that the connection speeds are much slower, and you have to pay for each connection, as it would count towards your cell minutes.

Let us know when/where you expect to access the internet, and we'll be able to provide you some more advice.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thanks John
by cytobear / July 16, 2005 10:53 PM PDT

I figured I might have to go the cell phone way, but I do not own a cell phone. The only problem I have with that, is most of those phones have video and cameras capabilities. I cannot have either of these capabilities where I work.

I will use the device outside or sitting in my car, restaurant, places where there will be no WiFi available..
Won't be using it inside of a building where I can dial in or plug in. So it pretty much has to be able to connect on its own somewhere preferably outside in a major metro area.

Do these Bluetooth devices connect remotely via satellite? Any ideas as to what would suit me. I don't want to spend over $300.00 unless I absolutly have to.
Thanks,
Bill

Collapse -
Sharing what I bought and use for Wifi.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2005 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks John

My Rx3115 was all of 269 from geeks.com It has Wifi and I can connect with ease at many places that have Wifi hotspots. It can do stock trades.

-> You want cellular type coverage? You will pay 500 and up for the priviledge. If you don't believe me, go shopping. Maybe a plain cell phone and a call to your stock broker could be cheaper?

-> You want satellite? Try over a thousand with hundred buck monthly fees.

Shop around for the Treo 650 and see if their web service works for you and then see if you're willing to pay the price.

Bob

Collapse -
I forget an option.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2005 12:50 AM PDT

Go find the Blackberry RIM units. Some do that.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!