Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Stock Market Crash Happening Now. -500 and Dow under 10,000

by James Denison / October 6, 2008 12:52 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Stock Market Crash Happening Now. -500 and Dow under 10,000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Stock Market Crash Happening Now. -500 and Dow under 10,000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So much for the "bailout"
by critic411 / October 6, 2008 12:59 AM PDT

Can we still get out 700 B back?

Completely disgusted with the congress.

Collapse -
Not bailout, it's a rescue.
by James Denison / October 6, 2008 1:02 AM PDT

Do you feel rescued yet?

Collapse -
(NT) im still waiting for my free house
by hansomerider / October 6, 2008 1:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
Hello.

This was expected.

Although there have been those who have thought the economy was not a global issue, it is.

That bad paper was sold in markets world-wide. ow those banks are in trouble. Their buy-outs and mergers have hit snags, and they appear to be gearing up for their own bail out.

And we have been told all along that it would take a LONG time for any benefit to be seen from the action taken. After all, no action has yet come about. They don't even know yet what value to place on that paper.

We heard last night something that was new to me. An insurance that was sold to cover those risks that was not really an insurance.

I don't know about anybody else, but all of this sounds to me like CRIMINAL ACTIVITY was afoot, rather than just the old fashioned make a quick buck.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Last I looked Europe entered a recession today
by James Denison / October 6, 2008 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Hello.

Some of their markets were down over 8% and add that on top of the previous losses it signals at the least a recession coming. Typical is 10% loss unrecovered is a recession, 20% signals a depression.

Collapse -
I'm enjoying this recession not at all.
by Dan McC / October 6, 2008 2:51 AM PDT

The first two Bush recessions were much more fun than the third Bush recession.

Dan

Collapse -
Really????
by critic411 / October 6, 2008 3:00 AM PDT

I did not know we were in a recession.

Collapse -
Earth calling space.
by Kiddpeat / October 6, 2008 3:14 AM PDT

This has NOTHING to do with Bush. He and many other Republicans recommended reform when it was possible. The Democrats defeated their efforts.

Collapse -
(NT) Are we really in a recession?
by critic411 / October 6, 2008 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Earth calling space.
Collapse -
Did I use the word recession?
by Kiddpeat / October 6, 2008 3:17 AM PDT

Maybe, maybe not. We won't really know until the numbers are reported will we?

Collapse -
No, you didn't, but you were responding
by critic411 / October 6, 2008 3:19 AM PDT

to someone who did. And yes, we do have to wait for the data.

Collapse -
Gee whiz, ain't that shame
by Willy / October 6, 2008 3:32 AM PDT

Some time ago, I remember they were happy when it reached 3,000. It seemed pretty quick to rise and in all that the USA just wasn't getting any better across the board, IMHO. I really didn't see where our exports ever exceeded our imports and jobs being lost, nothing really new in products of substance and costs everywhere going up. So, how in the heck did the DOW get to 10,000 and now to have this recent crisis befuddle the wiz boys&girls. Tell me, what input from Joe Streetguy did to deserve this and if any real fault of their own. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
that's a good question.
by James Denison / October 6, 2008 3:51 AM PDT

the answer may be that stock prices became "inflated" even while the economy didn't. Why? I'd say because big money got big loans from Big govt (Greenspan) at very low prices. What did they do with that big money? Keep buying stocks, or lending and convincing others to use on stocks. The price of some stocks still are over the percentage of return they should be giving. For instance when a stock offers little chance of stock price improvement (as in current conditions) and the dividend is less than 1%, where will the smart money go? To higher interest yields. What is money is made so cheap by the Fed there is no higher interest yields? Then it goes into "growth" stocks, expected to give gains ONLY on the price of the stock increasing. What happens when those stocks no longer are growing, or even falling backward? Stock market crash. Greenspan drove seniors and other savings out of banks by driving the return on CD's down and then supplied Fed money to the banks even cheaper. Laws were changed allowing banks to invest in stock market and there's where much of the money went. Greenspan looked for inflation and couldn't see it in the stock market prices. Now that same markets are down 30% from their high this year. Where's the money now? Much was "pretend money" from credit creation and is just gone, the rest is being hoarded and soon people may start demanding it back.

Collapse -
-680 right now at 2:22pm
by James Denison / October 6, 2008 4:23 AM PDT

may be an end of day selloff still to come. I wonder if it will beat the -777 pt drop the other day?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.