Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Still waiting for the liberal outrage,

by duckman / June 26, 2005 9:17 PM PDT

The Supreme Court ruled that the government can now take private property for any reason. This had led to and will lead to more abuse by the government than the Patriot Act has or will. Where are the wack job liberal protesters?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Still waiting for the liberal outrage,
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Still waiting for the liberal outrage,
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I participate in another discussion forum....
by Josh K / June 27, 2005 5:55 AM PDT

...besides this one, and that one is more centrist/left-leaning (it's my town website). There has been LOTS of uproar over this decision. I haven't heard anything about any organized protests, though I don't know how much can be done about a decision that has already been made.

Collapse -
If and when ...
by Evie / June 27, 2005 7:11 AM PDT

... there is a new Court appointment, we won't hear much. At that time I expect all honorable liberals will not smear the "reactionary Scalia types more suited to a Nazi court" Bush is likely to nominate. All honorable liberals will tell People for the American Way where to go when they organize their campaigns against honorable judges that know their job is to interpret the Constitution and NOT to defer to international evolving discretions, unsigned treaties, findings of rights (e.g. privacy) NOT in the Constitution, etc.

In the meantime I hope all liberals are taking Paul's advice and lobbying their state legislators to insure this doesn't happen to them.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
I believe...
by Angeline Booher / June 27, 2005 6:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Not just wackos, Angeline!
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / June 27, 2005 1:13 PM PDT
In reply to: I believe...

This really strikes at the heart of the American dream, when they can seize your home and turn it over to someone else to build a bigger one that'll net more taxes!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) OK Duckman, I already addressed this, but I'm outraged.
by Ziks511 / June 27, 2005 8:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
Swell,
by duckman / June 27, 2005 11:48 AM PDT

you're outraged. Still waiting for your comrades in the mainstream media to do the same daily assaults on this issue like they did with the Patriot Act

Collapse -
But property rights as we know them do not exist in Canada
by EdH / June 27, 2005 1:39 PM PDT

So were you outraged before?

Collapse -
Confusion all around.......
by Mac McMullen / June 27, 2005 8:47 AM PDT

...which of the members of the Supreme Court voted in
the affirmative, and what is their political affiliation?

Like Stevens, Sauter, Breyer, and Ginsberg, and joined by
centrist Kennedy, so why would liberals be the ones to
make a lot of noise about this, if, in fact, it were to
be political noise.

I haven't read the details of the case, but I come away
with an opinion that the appeal was to overturn lower
court rulings, which the Supreme Court determined not to
do. Which, in simple terms, said that this was a local
matter, not a Federal/Constitutional matter, and should
be resolved at the local (State) level. Isn't that
what a lot of people talk about. Keep the Feds out of
State affairs. The Supreme Court didn't establish any
new law here, nor did they 'amend or modify' a lower
court ruling, they only came down on one side of an
argument presented.

Guess it's time we pay atttention to whom we elect to
State Government, upon whom we depend to enact/modify
local laws that we can agree with, and pay attention
to the individuals we elect to local judgeships. It's
these 'local yokels' who cause us stress and distress
more often than the ones we send to Wash DC.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Well said!!!
by gearup / June 27, 2005 10:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Ditto!
by null. / June 27, 2005 3:53 PM PDT
Collapse -
Still, by leaving it to the states
by Dragon / June 28, 2005 12:19 AM PDT

it was saying in effect that rights of locals, which normally extended only to necessary purchases for schools, roads, and so forth, also included purchases for other things for economic reasons. If a mall wants to expand, then they can.

Collapse -
Only if local laws allow..........
by Mac McMullen / June 28, 2005 12:27 AM PDT

Local lawmakers elected by local population, and if
disputed, heard in local courts by locally elected judges.

Collapse -
It is my understanding ...
by Evie / June 28, 2005 12:40 AM PDT

... that the Fourteenth Amendment extends the PROTECTIONS of the Constitution to the residents of each state. The Fifth Amendment clearly limits the confiscation of property by the Federal Government to that for legitimate public *USE*. What the Court has just done is essentially rewrite the Amendment to include anything some politician can construe as a "public benefit" to fall under use. In any case (and I may have my Amendment numbers mixed up) the 14th extends the 5th to protect the people from states and locals using eminent domain to confiscate private property except for limited purpose.

You are wrong that the court did not overturn lower court decision. SCOTUS upheld the Connecticut Supreme Court's ruling in this case in favor of New London (4-3 split decision) with a 5-4 split decision.

I think perhaps the homes of Ginsburg, Kennedy, Souter, Stevens and Breyer could be worth more in tax revenues to the cities or states they are in if they are all converted to shopping malls. Let's start there and see how they feel Sad

Here's a little bit of summation/background on the CT case: http://www.ij.org/private_property/connecticut/

Ironic, most of the residents of this area of New London welcomed the revival of legitimate industry to their town accompanied by some sprucing up of downtown. However they are now rewarded by having their homes stolen from them. Although the article describes the area as one of "richness and vibrancy", that's a bit of poetic license IMO. It's your typical smaller town type region of older homes in various states of repair, etc. However "blight" is most definitely NOT a word to describe the area either. I've watched the July 4th fireworks shows from the rooftops of some of those homes friends have rented in years past, so I'm familiar with the area. It's not a place to leave your car unlocked on the street or walk alone at night if you can avoid it, but it's also not an area where you are likely to have the car stolen or get accosted if you do.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Ive pondered whether or not blighted areas
by Dragon / June 28, 2005 1:57 AM PDT

should be targets for acquisition by the city. But if so, "blight" should be clearly defined

Collapse -
I agree as well ...
by Evie / June 28, 2005 2:09 AM PDT

... I don't like this type of nebulous "out" (reminds me of the recent truce in the Senate over filibusters that could be broken under "extraordinary circumstances" ...). Oddly enough most blighted areas contain a high concentration of public housing projects that run down the neighborhood.

Which reminds me, New London has a nice sized project and the police station across the street from the publically owned pier and real close to the area in question. Sounds like a BETTER target for redevelopment and leave the family homes alone.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
The best way to destroy housing is to have the government
by Kiddpeat / June 28, 2005 6:44 AM PDT

take it over. We tend to assume that government will do what's 'right'. Even if they knew what that is, what makes us think that a bunch of civil servants will do it?

Collapse -
As I said, Evie,
by Mac McMullen / June 28, 2005 4:10 AM PDT

...I hadn't read the details, only "my take" based upon
the screaches and hollars that followed. Happy

Collapse -
I guess the initiating thread ...
by Evie / June 28, 2005 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: As I said, Evie,

... was dealing with the fact that we've heard rumblings of complaint from some liberals, and yet there is an absence of denunciation of the extremist, activist judges that handed down such a horrendous decision.

Come time to nominate a justice along the lines of those that brilliantly dissented (with which the liberals seem to roundly agree), we will be treated with obstructionism and character assault led by People for the American Way the likes of which will make '04 and '05 seem like child's play.

I'm kinda hoping the developer that wants to put a hotel on Judge Souter's property in NH is successful Happy

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Perhaps this is considered the limiting factor?
by Roger NC / June 28, 2005 9:53 AM PDT
The Fifth Amendment clearly limits the confiscation of property by the Federal Government to that for legitimate public *USE*.

Perhaps the Court decided that restriction only applied to the federal government and it was up to local/state people and governments to decide their own restrictions?

JMO

Roger

Collapse -
But 14th Amendment extends ...
by Evie / June 28, 2005 12:09 PM PDT

... the protections of the other Amendments to the States as well. And specifically:

Fourteenth Amendment

Section. 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property , without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

{emphasis mine}

What the Five Supremes essentially did was rewrite the Constitution which is steps beyond the equally bad practice of divining rights never even written into the Constitution.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
but each state can set the law for property confistication?
by Roger NC / June 29, 2005 5:48 AM PDT
without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

And what we've seem to be seeing is the right of each state to set it's standards for due process regarding taking land for 'public good'.

Indeed, it would seem if the federal doesn't address it, and the state chose not to address it, then even a county or city government could make it's own regulations within it's jurisdiction.

I still think it stinks, but it seems the court is just saying that the prohibition on what the federal government can do in this area doesn't prohibit the states (and possibly lower) governments from making their own rules.

JMO

Roger

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.